Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New modem but ISP won't let me go online

FIXED
Sesshoudany
Hooked

New modem but ISP won't let me go online

Hi everyone,

I'm a bit of a noob but i've tried everything and nothing seems to work. 

I bought a modem/router asus DSLN66U and it connects to DSL but it won't go online. I tried chaning the HTTP and HTTPS ports as well, nothing.  The message i got at the end was "unable to connect to the internet. Please double check your account data with your ISP or contact asus support" 

So.

Is not a problem of the modem, is a problem of the ISP. What do i have to do to go online?

Please help me out.

Thanks!

13 REPLIES 13
CJT-80
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

Re: New modem but ISP won't let me go online

@Sesshoudany

Have you inputted your username and password into the router? 

Kind Regards,

CJT
Sesshoudany
Hooked

Hi, I did.
I connected it to the DSL, I input my user name and password, set up the internet connection, the computer is connected but it won't go on internet. I read around that sometimes the ports are wrong so I tried to change them to 8443, both http and HTTPS , won't let me do that, says I have to duplicate something, can't really remember now. I tried the hard reset, nothing. I'm sure I tried more stuff but nothing seems to work. I downloaded a new version of the firmware with the old modem but when I try to upload the file it says is not recognised.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

I understand that port 8443 is used for VPN, so what precisely are you trying to do? If you plug in the router supplied by Plusnet and it works it has to be either that the Asus router is faulty or that you are not entering the settings correctly.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Sesshoudany
Hooked

I don't know, I'm just assuming I'm doing something wrong but you're saying makes sense.
Because other than connecting everything, type in the password and follow the instructions, I don't know what else to do.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Just to be clear, you will need to enter your plusnet username & password in the PPPoE settings as described here https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Have you tried setting it up manually using the instructions here. https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/. Note that the settings for standard ADSL and fibre connections are different.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Hi @Sesshoudany, apart from a few disconnections yesterday I can see that you're online now. Is everything working as it should be? - Adam 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Sesshoudany
Hooked

I'm online with the old modem, the technicolour I wanted to change, because in the evening is getting really slow lately, I can even download a simple 7mb game for my phone! I was trying to install the new modem I bought but it doesn't go online so, until I figure out what's wrong with it, I'm sticking with the old one. I'll try again on my next day off.
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

OK, please keep us posted. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
mharvo
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Fix

In the Asus mode/router use the QIS (Quick Internet Setup) entering Plusnet username @plusdsl.net and Password for your Plusnet account it should work (this is automatic detection setup from Asus)... have had other 3 Asus routers for adsl/vdsl and all work on plusnet with IPTV channels working fine aswell, .. you do NOT change HTTP or HTTPS ports to access internet via the modem router.

Hope this helps.

Sesshoudany
Hooked

I must be thick in the head at this point, I used the account Plusnet gave me, the one I used to access the old router, but is still saying that account name or password are wrong and then another page loaded and said PPPoE, PPPoA or VPN authentication failed
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Hi @Sesshoudany

It should not be a PlusNet problem, not connection related else your old modem wouldn't work once you swapped it back.

Could be a simple config change on your new one which needs doing.

To rule one thing out, can you log into the member centre (not here) with your username and your password and does it work? If so that would suggest your login details are correct.

I'd also post a brief snip of the router log, and see if anyone can help you out here on what may be the cause.

Sesshoudany
Hooked

I managed!! Thank you everyone for your support!!! Sorry if I sounded dumb at some point lol

Thank you very much!