cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New fibre router, 5G works fine but 2.4G signal has suddenly become very weak

ML27uk
Hooked

New fibre router, 5G works fine but 2.4G signal has suddenly become very weak

Upgraded to Fibre Plus a few days ago. The 5G signal is working fine throughout the house with speeds as advertised (66+)

However, all the devices that were working OK on the 2.4GHz signal until this afternoon - one printer, one security camera, three wifi sockets and two Roku boxes - are now unable to detect the 2.4GHz network on which they rely. 

A Roku box situated less than 2m from the router can just about cling on to a "Poor" signal that's registering less than1Mbps download speed, no other device in the house can detect the 2.4G signal.

I've rebooted, changed channels thru' 1, 6 and 11 and Factory Reset the router, all to no avail.

I was watching TV via both Roku boxes and checking the security camera quite happily until this afternoon and obviously none of the wiring etc. has been disturbed.

This has to be a faulty router, right?

None of my neighbours are using channels 1, 6 or 11 according to my wifi snooping software. 

2 metres away from the router...2 metres away from the router...

12 REPLIES 12
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: New fibre router, 5G works fine but 2.4G signal has suddenly become very weak

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from FullFibre to My Router

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

ML27uk
Hooked

Re: New fibre router, 5G works fine but 2.4G signal has suddenly become very weak

Update...

I re-rebooted the router this morning... the 2.4GHz signal reappeared, only to fade away over the next few minutes..24Mbps to 5Mbps to 2Mbps to zilch 🙄

09:1309:13B2748C2E-C56B-46CA-8D0F-D05970949510.jpeg09:1709:1709:2009:20

ML27uk
Hooked

A64C61E7-FA49-427E-AAE6-EF71EB9466CB.jpeg

The 5GHz side of the router is working perfectly...

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

@ML27uk 

Which Hub and Roku device are you using?

Does the WIFI snooping app you're using include a signal strength meter? If installed on a mobile phone or tablet what is the signal strength at the Roku box location?

ML27uk
Hooked

Two Roku Expresses, one next to the router and the other one floor up.

The router is a Plusnet Hub Two

My wifi snooper is up on the second floor so I can't give an answer to the signal strength question from there but the signal strength on the router directly adjacent to the router is "Fair"

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

It is possible to change the Mode the wireless signal is being transmitted by the Hub two. No guarantee it will work but worth a try changing to Mode 2.

Instructions for BT Smart Hub 2, Plusnet Hub 2 is the same with slightly different firmware

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/what-is-the-wireless-mode-feature-on-my-bt-smart-hub- 

Mode setting found in Advanced Settings >Advanced Wireless

If you have an Android device Net Analyser would be the app to use which has a signal meter

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

@ML27uk wrote:

However, all the devices that were working OK on the 2.4GHz signal until this afternoon - one printer, one security camera, three wifi sockets and two Roku boxes - are now unable to detect the 2.4GHz network on which they rely. 

A Roku box situated less than 2m from the router can just about cling on to a "Poor" signal that's registering less than1Mbps download speed, no other device in the house can detect the 2.4G signal.

At the time of writing, I can see a Roku box connected to the 2.4GHz radio with an RSSI of -39dB which is very healthy.

I can also see a second device successfully associated with the 2.4GHz radio with a MAC address ending 99:2B. I think it's the security camera. RSSI of -60dB, so still not terrible.

What do you mean by 'Wi-Fi sockets'? Do you have additional wireless access points/extenders on the network, or are you referring to smartplugs?

@Dan_the_Van makes a good suggesstion regarding the wireless modes. Another thing that might offer some insight, is what happens if you temporarily disable the 5GHz radio entirely?

I can see you've had you router replaced. Happy to be proved wrong but I'm not convinced this is a physical hub fault. Be interesting to see what happens when it turns up.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

ML27uk
Hooked

Thanks, I had another chat with the helpline this afternoon around 3pm. Tried a few tweaks but nothing really helped with the range problem. Got a better link to the stuff in the same room but nothing beyond. New router is, en route.
ML27uk
Hooked

Fooled around with those settings to no avail 😕 New router on the way..
dazgee1965
Grafter

I've never been a fan of routers supplied via an ISP as they always seem fairly basic.
I would recommend buying your own router.
The hub2 shares the same channel for 2.4ghz and 5ghz devices.
If you get congestion from neighbours it might be a pain changing channels.
I setup my FTTP via the PN router then swapped it out for a TP Link AX3000.
I have 4x 2.5ghz and 5x 2.5ghz connected as well as wired devices and the router has been rock solid.
Also, the TP Link supports WiFi 6 so any wireless devices you have that support it will be faster.
ML27uk
Hooked

Thanks for that, really wasn’t looking to invest in new kit but I agree the inability to log in to 2.4 or 5 is a pain. Also, can only switch to channel 1, 6 or 11… a reduction in options that’s probably defensible but seems annoying 🙄
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero

@ML27uk it is worth noting the Hub Two works in bridge mode (modem only mode) which allows you to buy a router or mesh network which will improve your WiFi

Dan