cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer with a third party Draytek Vigor 130 modem and Asus AC5300 router

FIXED
mszune
Grafter

Re: New customer with a third party Draytek Vigor 130 modem and Asus AC5300 router

Here's my day 1 Plusnet line stats, obviously downsteam is going to be interleaved over the next 14 days while my line settles in with DLM making the necessary adjustments, although I'm pretty stoked with my line compaired to BT at present.

👏👏 

Plusnet Day1.jpg

mszune
Grafter

Re: New customer with a third party Draytek Vigor 130 modem and Asus AC5300 router

@Anonymous here you go, pretty impressive for day 1 👏Plusnet Day.jpg

Anonymous
Not applicable

That's looking good.

I'm surprised that the far end error counts "FE CRC Count" and "FE ES Count" haven't been zeroed, as I would have expected that your line should have been reset for a clean start after migration, maybe that has been scheduled for the early hours of tomorrow morning.

With those line stats, your Vigor 130 should be able to reduce the "Cur SNR Margin" to 3dB, and get your downstream "DS Actual Rate" closer to 79999000  if DLM behaves favourably in the next few days.

mszune
Grafter

Yeah I was also surprised neither "FE CRC Count" and "FE ES Count" haven't been zeroed, unsure whether a line reset can be done remotely or with OR engineer visit, I'll keep a eye on my line over the next 14 days and see what alters.

I'll play with the Vigor's SNR once everthing is settled in, although many thanks for your help and assistance over the last week or so much appreciated Thumbs_Up

mszune
Grafter

I have by accident achieved what many people dream of with their 80/20 FTTC connection with a DS speed of 80000000 and a US speed of 20000000 and an SNR of 0, although as can be seen in the attachment my NE CRC and NE ES counts have recorded quite a few since 8pm yesterday evening.

The reason behind this significant change is that around 8pm last night the whole area around my town experienced a power cut for approximately 5 mins, you'll also note that my attainable speed has dropped significantly.

I am unsure if this part of the line testing phase where settings are altered to attain the best achievable speeds, although for now my line is running at maximum with a few NE CRC and NE ES counts.

Hopefully things will settle down over the next 14 days and the weather calms down to prevent another power cut in sunny old Wales. 😂

day2b.jpgday2.jpg

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@mszune  Its one of the reasons I gave up trying to always get the best of a setup. As you've found, DLM will always have its way. If it decides your line should go slower or faster, it will do so, no matter what settings you tinker with. With my ISP (no longer PN) I can easily see how often DLM alters things when it decides its going to. Since November 2020, my line has resynced 25 times - usually a meg or 2, up and down. I was 78256 in November, I'm 78506 now, which was set in January. Miniscule gain really in the grand scheme of things.

Unless I think my line has a problem i.e. going slow, I no longer bother doing speedtests, checking the stats etc - You can easily end up going around in circles. The time spent doing that is better devoted elsewhere. Like doing what you really wanted to be doing in the first place - using the net! 😀

As for the 10-14 days training, biggest humbug around. DLM is always active. Your line might (probably will) stabilise at some point but DLM is always there - lurking, ready to take you on a trip. 😁 Best thing I did was get a UPS - £30. Its done wonders for the speed syncs. Modem never drops.

BTW I used to use a Vigor 130 as well. Nice modem and pretty reliable to boot.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
mszune
Grafter

@idonno To be totally honest with you I've only recently taken an interest in my line speed due to the fact that while family members are at home during lockdown internet speed is crucial when we're all trying use the same connection.

What I did find frustrating was talking to the technical side of BT that were adamant my line was only capable of reaching 58mb, although I know this was total nonsense as I literally live a stone throw from my cabinet that is sited within an OR/BT building/exchange.

When I first moved to BT (from PN to BT purely because they were the first to offer FTTC) my line was stable for a number of years and I would regularly see DS 74mb and US 19mb, so I knew something didnt add up, Had BT investigated further and returned my line to its orginal state, maybe I wouldnt have returned to PN.

I even upgraded my contract with BT and they gave me the reassurance that my line had a guaranteed speed between 39mb and 44mb what a joke, anyways thats another story as I've even called them 5 times to cancel my contract well within the 14 days cooling off period and still they are demanding £843 as I've left.

I even had to call them 4 times to send me a returns bag for the hybrid connect, wifi disc and smart hub 2, all returned now so we'll wait and see if they attempt to retrieve the alleged £843 I owe them 😂🙄

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@mszune wrote:  To be totally honest with you I've only recently taken an interest in my line speed due to the fact that while family members are at home during lockdown internet speed is crucial when we're all trying use the same connection.

Yes, I think we're all in the same boat there. As for finding out what your line should be capable of, I tend to visit here. Very hard for any ISP to argue otherwise if your speed drops below the hand back threshold value mentioned. I use to sync at 72Mb with PN (same for 5 yrs), I get 78Mb with Zen. Same wires etc.

Still in just under a months time, even Zen will be a memory. Despite that BT checker saying we are not a FTTP priority exchange, we are getting just that. 500Mb/s up and down is what I've signed up for (they guarantee a minimum of 80% of that) which is being installed by a local comm company. They have been very busy round these parts over the past couple of weeks or so. Weeeeee! Can't wait.  

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@mszune  That is a common occurrence after a power cut. Your modem syncs up before others at a higher than normal speed then other lines come up and reduce your SNRM due to crosstalk. Your SNRM is now at zero so your errors are going very high. You are not likely to continue at that speed for long. DLM will cause a resync and your speed will drop. 

My line runs at 80/20 after a power cut at about 1.7dB SNRM with next to no errors, currently been up for 20days.

mszune
Grafter

Lucky you, I guess these community help pages will also be a distant memory when we all have speeds that can handle multiple home users and the only time help will be sort after is when there is an actual underlying issue with your line 😂😂

mszune
Grafter

@RealAleMadrid thanks for the explanation, I'll leave well alone for the next few weeks and see what happens. Thumbs_Up

mszune
Grafter

Hi All,

I have a question, since my switch to Plusnet on the same day as a localised power cut on Friday my line has now been reduced by DLM as attached below.

I noticed that the XDSL times is now set at 2, does this indicate that DLM has done something or has someone in my house switched off the router/modem at some point?

The reason I ask is that I have kids in my house that are on the internet until the early hours and I want to rule out someone resetting the router/modem when it will impact our line?

Thanks

pnday3.jpg

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

@mszune  This is exactly what I said would happen in my previous post (message #24)  You had a very low SNRM so DLM has caused a resync and the line is now running at the normal 6dB SNRM. That explains the XDSL link times value of 2.

What is not good is that your downstream rate is now less than you had on your first day on Plusnet and looks like it may have been banded, that is capped at 74Mbps, because the speed is almost exactly that value rather than some random number. You may find that the sync speed does not go any higher. You could ask Plusnet to check your line to see if it is banded and they could request a DLM reset but as you are already getting a good speed they will probably say you are within the expected range and do nothing about it.🙄

mszune
Grafter

@RealAleMadrid thanks for update, I thought the little sh*~s had been switching off the router again 😂

Yeah it looks like the DS is banded and also lower than my first day speed, to be fair my line hasn't been reset since I joined from which I thought that my US would have been reset from day 1.

I will let the line settle in over the next 10 days and see what happens, Thanks for the help and guidance much appreciated.

mszune
Grafter

@Anonymous @RealAleMadrid so after two weeks my line settled down to the below profile from which I guess as my line was never reset on day one it has reverted back to its old banding.

I can I suppose ask for the line to be reset, although I thought it was a worthwhile mention that having read multiple posts relating to the Vigor 130's 3.8.4.1 BT firmware and that is not entirely compatible with an ECI cabinet, I have for the last 5 days ran the 3.8.4.1 alternative modem code 579F17 firmware recommended for ECI cabinets that has seen a 3mb increase to the DS and US attainable speed as below.

Whether or not DLM will adjust my line as it is now more stable only time will tell.

579F17.jpg