cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer - all devices connect except Macbook ('connects' but no webpages load)

FIXED
ninjakiwi
Fixes: 1

New customer - all devices connect except Macbook ('connects' but no webpages load)

I've just switched to PN and successfully connected my iPhone and Surface. My MacBook (Pro Retina 13-inch, mid 2014) "connects" (shows a connection in the top-right), but no webpages load. Sometimes it "hangs" (the loading bar reaches part-way, blank page in the browser), sometimes it finishes trying to load and just shows "you are not connected to the internet".

I have tried:

• Restarting the router
  • Restarting my Macbook
  • Removing and adding the network
  • Splitting off the 2.4GHz from the 5 GHz (I can reach the hub manager page from my Macbook), giving it a different name and using each of those separately.

I'm waiting for a USB-to-ethernet connector to arrive (tomorrow) so can't test out via ethernet yet.

Any help appreciated, please be as step-by-step as you can (I'm fairly tech savvy but I know very little about my Mac or anything broadband/network related).

4 REPLIES 4
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: New customer - all devices connect except Macbook ('connects' but no webpages load)

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: New customer - all devices connect except Macbook ('connects' but no webpages load)

@ninjakiwi  Welcome to the forum.

I know little about MACs but it might need the IP address resetting. See if this helps  https://support.apple.com/en-gb/guide/mac-help/mchlp1545/mac

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

ninjakiwi

Thank you - I'm afraid I've tried that one Sad I've also tried setting it to have a static IP address from the hub manager page (and put it back again when that didn't work).

It shows as connected in the hub manager, also.

ninjakiwi

Fix

I've managed to fix it! I'll leave my solution here in case it helps someone some day.

After much Google and no help from PlusNet, I ended up following the steps here: https://appletoolbox.com/solved-macbook-connects-to-wi-fi-but-has-no-internet-connection/

The one that helped me was number 4, "Change your Mac's DNS":

1. Open the Wifi menu in the top-right (where it lists the available networks) and go to 'Open Network Preferences'

2. Select 'Wifi' from the list on the left

3. Click 'Advanced' (bottom right of the window)

4. Go to 'DNS' along the top

5. If there's something listed there in black (e.g. I had 192.168.1.1), click on it, then click the - (minus) button underneath to remove it.

6. Click + and type 8.8.8.8

7. Click OK / apply as many times as needed, then check if your browser loads.

8. Try removing the 8.8.8.8 listing you added and see if it still works.

(Probably steps 6-8 weren't necessary for me, I just needed to remove the erroneous listing that was in there.)