Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer - Plusnet router leaves dead spots in the house

NicFra
Hooked

New customer - Plusnet router leaves dead spots in the house

Hi all,

just joined PN a week ago. Coming from Talk Talk. Having nightmarish experience so far 1) Router arrived at home late; 2) my Unlimited Fibre Extra substantially slower than estimated download range; 3) Presence of WiFi dead spots in the house (not there when I was with the Talk Talk router).

While 2 is bearable at the moment (hopefully they will fix it soon though), 3 is a big issue. I hope support can promptly find a solution for that. For example can they provide a couple of WiFi extenders?

Looking forward to hear your thoughts.

Nic

8 REPLIES 8
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: New customer - Plusnet router leaves dead spots in the house

dave501
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 6

Quite a few on here use the Smarthub 6 you can buy them for not a lot on e**y the wi fi is far superior and the setup instruction are https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/td-p/1587673

NicFra
Hooked

Well, not really down to me if PN provides subpar kit. My fault I did not investigate before sign in with them. Hopefully my message in this forum will help informing other people looking at PN as potential internet provider.

Re using the Talk Talk router, it looks like from this form that is not possible. 

NicFra
Hooked

Thanks, but not willing to spend on something PN should provide with their service - a good WiFi router!

NicFra
Hooked

Is there anyone from PN who can kindly help with this issue?

Thanks.

Lysen
Grafter

The routers Plusnet supplies are unfit for purpose. The Hub Zero for non-fibre customers can't cope with more than a single device connected at a time, and will hang if anything else connects, while the Hub One for fibre customers doesn't function properly on the 5Ghz band. Utterly disgraceful.

In all likelihood, you won't get anywhere with them. 

TalkTalk's routers, like Plusnets, are usually locked down, but you should be able to use it as a wireless bridge. What model is it?

NicFra
Hooked

@Lysen wrote:

The routers Plusnet supplies are unfit for purpose. The Hub Zero for non-fibre customers can't cope with more than a single device connected at a time, and will hang if anything else connects, while the Hub One for fibre customers doesn't function properly on the 5Ghz band. Utterly disgraceful.

In all likelihood, you won't get anywhere with them. 

TalkTalk's routers, like Plusnets, are usually locked down, but you should be able to use it as a wireless bridge. What model is it?

Thanks Lysen.

Glad to know that other people are aware of the poor quality of the PN routers.

Not sure the model of the Talk Talk router I used to use, but it looks like this-

https://www.itwriting.com/blog/10843-talktalks-new-sagemcom-fast-5364-router-and-wifi-hub.html

Not hearing yet a word about this issue here from support is utterly disturbing.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@NicFra 

I reckon that I can pre-empt and precis the response that you will get from Plusnet.

1. Try moving the router.

2. Try another wireless channel

3 Wireless performance is subject to local conditions and cannot be guaranteed.

Just because Talk talk's router gives better coverage does not put an obligation on Plusnet to match it. It is widely accepted on this forum that their router wireless performance is not good. The question really is whether you are interested in budget solutions and move on or pursue Plusnet over the issue.

If you prefer the latter then para 4.1.3 of the broadband terms and conditions, which you have agreed to, is a good starting reference.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'