cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New customer - Awful signal

Hariibocupcake

New customer - Awful signal

Hello. I recently switched to plusnet from talktalk via a comparison site as it was £10 a month cheaper than what I was paying. My changeover went live this weekend and I have to say so far the router signal quality is appalling. When stood next to the router we are only getting two out of three bars (on iPhones and iPad) and all signal is lost completely in the bathroom and back bedroom so my son cannot use his iPad in his room. Even in my bedroom directly above where the router is situated I am flickering between 1/3 bars and 4G which is terribly annoying. I only have a small two bed council house so it is definitely not an issue with it having too far to reach. There is minimal interference around the router. I have been at this property for six years and have had different providers in that time but this is by far the worst signal I have ever had. My previous router reached the bathroom and back bedroom with 2/3 sometimes 3/3 bars of signal and never dropped out. I could be at the bottom of my garden and still pick up the signal perfectly but now it won't even reach my back porch let alone another 6 metres down the garden. I am utterly disappointed and had I known the quality of your router would be this poor I would never have switched. What is the point of paying for broadband if it barely manages to reach even half the house? The router is in exactly the same spot as the previous ones have been, so it's location is not the issue. I truly am thouroughly shocked at the awful signal strength, I thought if anything things like this were supposed to get better with technological advances not worse! I have asked this in chat, submitted this as a message via the website, and still no response. Please contact me with a solution asap otherwise I will have no choice but to contact ofcom as I beleive I have been sold a service which is not as promised. Thanks. Harriet Martin.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): All caps title edited as per Forum rules.

18 REPLIES 18
southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: New customer - Awful signal

Have you tried putting your router on a different channel? Are you using 5Ghz or 2.4GHz ? 5Ghz doesn't travel as far as 2.4Ghz. Your old & new router will most probably be different beasts. 

Forndog
Dabbler

I have had a consistently slow signal on my iPhone for four years and I have fibre broadband. It was so bad I was going to leave. I just got an Amazon eco yesterday and was having issues playing the music. Like the second poster said, I split the broadband between 2.4 GHZ and 5 GHZ and dedicated my iPhone and echo to the 5 Ghz. Now my Echo works and my iPhone is the fastest I've seen it.
So I would try this option first.
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

If it's suitable have you considered using your previous router?

PlusNet are happy for customers to use their own equipment and provide the settings required on their website.

Brian

Hariibocupcake

How would I use the previous router? Do I have to call up and ask them? Thanks x
Hariibocupcake

How do I change between them? I didnt even know there were different channels? Thanks x
Forndog
Dabbler

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Sorry to hear you're having wireless signal problems, Harriet.

Let us know how changing the channels goes.

Cheers

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Hariibocupcake

I don't have that particular router I seem to have an older style one not the Plusnet one hub. Also I don't have a laptop so cannot open the wifi settings, only have tablets, phones and TV set up to it. Signal is actually getting worse, I now cannot pick it up atall in my bedroom meaning only rooms it's working in is the lounge (where the router is) and the kitchen. Please help me resolve this issue, I'm using so much mobile data because of this problem which is going to cost me a fortune on my mobile bill. Thanks, Harriet
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

You need to find a tech savvie friend to assist; your tablet or whatever needs to open YOUR routers settings, from where you can amend channels. First you need to install a wifi analyser app (such as "inSSIDER";<free?) it'll show what frequencies are in use around you. Then choose the least busy.
bmc
Hero

Harriet

WiFi reception can be notoriously difficult to diagnose and fix. The web is awash with articles on the subject. The following link is one article on the subject.

http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php/2015/04/10-top-tips-boosting-home-wi-fi-wireless-network-speeds...

The first thing to check is the connection speed to your router - if that's wrong then your WiFi is also in trouble. Normally speed tests are done via a wired connection (to eliminate WiFi issues) but as that's not possible you'll need to use one of your devices. I can't recommend any as I don't use them but hopefully someone will. Perhaps a PlusNet staff member can also check your stats from their end to see if the line looks OK.

I'm assuming you're on the same type of package as previously ie ADSL or FTTC. If so then your previous router may be the solution to your problems - as you know if works with your equipment in your house.

The following as a link to a PlusNet support page on setting up their routers. https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/router-setup-guides/

You'll be able to see which one you have and read up accordingly. Note : to access you PlusNet router settings you type 192.168.1.254 in a web browser. Not recommended to do so via WiFi (for security) but you have no choice. The user id and password are different to that which you use to login to your PlusNet Members page.

To change to your previous router may be straightforward or require a few steps along the way. Assuming the latter I think (though I'm not an expert) you'll need to do a factory reset of the router. Then replace your current router with the old one. If it doesn't connect automatically you'll need to access the settings page and enter your PlusNet user settings - see https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

Brian

bmc
Hero

Sorry, wasn't thinking straight on my last post. You can run speed checks via the web - this is the one I use.

http://www.speedtest.net/

I would run it on all your devices one after another with them being as close to the router as possible.

Brian

Angela2

I am also a new customer and having exactly the same issues. I no longer have my old router as I threw it away when I set plusnet up.
It's absolutely useless, every time I try to watch something on catch-up TV it throws me off repeatedly. My son can't play xbox live. I have complained and all they can suggest is to change the broadband channel, well I've tried them all and not one of them works properly. Totally useless and not fit for purpose.
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

@Angela2 I can see you have a complaint open with a member of our complaints team.

They'll be in touch as soon as possible.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Angela2

Still waiting for someone to contact me.
Still not fit for purpose.
Going to contact money supermarket to help warn potential new customers to give plusnet a wide berth!!!
I seem to be lumbered with an 18 month contract and will have to go and purchase my Internet elsewhere.
Very disappointed.