cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Work Laptop with VPN kills my WiFi (TG582n)

scot-e-dog

New Work Laptop with VPN kills my WiFi (TG582n)

I recently got a new work laptop with Cisco AnyConnect VPN (replacing an archaic Windows 7 one I had).

This has created a problem.  Periodically, it causes my WiFi to crash (normally after about 5-10 minutes).  All the lights are still on on the router (a TG582n), but the WiFi connection drops out and I have to press the reset button on the back of the router to get things to work again.

I have dredged up a few old topics similar to my issue, but none have solved the problem.  I have unbound IKE and PPTP, but to no avail.  The firewall is set to "standard".  I am not sure if any of these things would ever have helped with my WiFi problem, but I thought I would give them a go.

My work laptop is locked down tighter than a drum, so I can't change any settings there.

Has anyone else experienced this and do you have any advice for me.  Any and all help gratefully received.

Ta,

Scot

8 REPLIES 8
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: New Work Laptop with VPN kills my WiFi (TG582n)

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dvorak

Have you tried with an ethernet cable to see if that resolves it - whether it is the wifi or the router?

Also when was the last time you re-contracted with PN, they might be able to supply a different router.
Customer / Moderator
scot-e-dog

Cheers dvorak,

My next port of call was going to be PN.  I have been a loyal customer for many, many years and it's about time they replaced my ancient TG582n.  I just wanted to see if I could fix this first.

Good idea to test with a cable.  Looks like it actually crashes the whole router as my son has just told me his wired connection also went down when the wifi dropped out.  Mind you, even if that does stop it from happening, it doesn't solve the problem as it's not possible to easily set up a wired connection (unless I want to sit on the floor in the hall to work!!).

Thanks again Smiley

Scot

dvorak

Yeah I know it's not a long term solution (though you could use power lines if it did work.)
More trying to prove what the issue was.
I've used the PN Hub One with AnyConnect fine.
Or you could get a BT Smarthub from an auction / sale site fairly cheaply which should also work pretty well.
Customer / Moderator
scot-e-dog

Good news that the Hub One seems to work.  I shall see if I can twist PN's arm to give me a new router.

I have had the laptop connected by cable for the last hour or so and no similar problems have occurred.

I also doubled check the scale of the impact when it does kill the wifi.  It's actually only the wifi that drops - devices wried to the router still have internet access - weird!!

Ta

Scot

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Scot, I'm sorry to see you're having issues with your old Technicolor TG582n router.

As that's long out of warranty now, I'd recommend calling our Customer Options Team on 0800 013 2632 as we may need to recontract you (and in the process transfer your phone line to us as we no longer 'sell' broadband only packages) for us to be able to send you a Hub One free of charge. 

If you do recontract and/or bring your phone to us, you may likely save money on your monthly cost. 

Having said that if you prefer to leave your account the way it is, buying a third party router like the BT Smarthub as @dvorak has suggested may be a good way to go. There are steps Here that explain how to set one up too.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
scot-e-dog

Hi Gandalf,

brilliant advice - thank you.  I will look at both options.  I did speak to the PlusNet help desk today who informed me that PlusNet routers don't really like VPN (their words, not mine 😁).  That makes me a bit worried that if I do change contracts it won't solve the problem.

Any advice on make/model of router if I go third party?  I note that Currys do a BT one (AC2600) - is that any good?

Thanks again,

Scot

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Hi Scot, no problem and apologies if you were given this advice from us about our routers. There are no known issues I'm aware of with our routers and VPN's. In fact, when I started working from home during first lockdown, I was using a Hub One with the Cisco AnyConnect too and didn't have an issue. 

I'd say a lot of the time if there's an issue, it's either down to a router that's developed a fault, the broadband firewall Here is set in a high mode, or there's a problem with how the VPN's configured at the other end. 

I can't personally (or professionally) recommend a third party router, but maybe someone else can Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet