Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Router?

FIXED
mattsando
Dabbler

New Router?

Hi all,

I’m still using the old Router I’ve had since 2013/4. How do I go about requesting a new one?

It’s an old white Technicolor one

Really happy with Plusnet so I don’t want to leave (in case anyone suggests that)
22 REPLIES 22
JOLO
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 77

Re: New Router?

Fix

Hi @mattsando

I've ordered this for you at the address on the account. It should have been offered as part of the upgrade you put through to be honest. Hope it's okay to just action that for you. It will be different to the one you currently have as the Technicolor's are no longer made, and I imagine you currently use the separate Openreach modem too. These are now obsolete so it won't need to be used when the new router comes. 

I'd suggest saving your Technicolor and the OR modem if you've had no problems with them, as then you'll have a back up for any testing purposes. 

Let me know if you need anything further. 

mattsando
Dabbler

Oh, wow. That’s awesome. Thank you!!
Ktm250lou

Don’t use the hub one it’s shocking, a clever plusnet guy (engineer) told me I’ve got to many connected WiFi devices and told me disconnect my security camera..
Then he went on to tell me I should go back to the old Technicolor router.
My WiFi is very poor. The router is the same rubbish talk talk used to have.
I’ve been through all the channel swapping etc etc etc, last phone call was an hour long to then and Still no good.
Poor service
SammyM
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 93

Hello @Ktm250lou,

We are sincerely sorry to hear you feel that way. The broadband connection is shared between all devices connected. If you have a device connected that is streaming or gaming, as this is time sensitive traffic these will tend to use more of the bandwidth.

It may be worth while looking through our threads to set up port forwarding which may help you maximize your connection flow to the security cameras. 

It may be best to use a wired connection where possible for  streaming etc.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Sammy M - Sheffield Team
 Plusnet Help Team
Dazcity

I had an openreach engineer come to the house confirm the line was ok, she then informed me that my Wi-Fi was poor and she would report back to Plusnet that it was a faulty router. I heard nothing so contacted Plusnet to be told to just change channel. I've tried calling today, waited 20+ minutes for a customer service guy called [CSA Removed] to introduce himself wait 2 seconds for me to reply and put the phone down. Not the 1st time I've had poor service on multiple levels from this company

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): CSA name(s) removed (to an area staff can see) as per Forum rules.

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

@JOLO wrote:
It will be different to the one you currently have as the Technicolor's are no longer made, and I imagine you currently use the separate Openreach modem too. These are now obsolete so it won't need to be used when the new router comes.

I'd suggest saving your Technicolor and the OR modem if you've had no problems with them, as then you'll have a back up for any testing purposes.

Just because something is old or not the latest model doesn't mean it's no good.

Plusnet gave me an Openreach modem and a Netgear router in 2012 (possibly earlier) for the new Fibre connection. They are both still working perfectly and they don't suffer from the current lock down philosophy of PN. Obviously Wi-Fi has improved in recent years but nearly all non-mobile phone access is wired anyway.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

@Dazcity Sorry to hear you're having issues with your router.

Poor Wi-Fi signal isn't always necessarily a router issue. Can you confirm if you've gone through the steps here?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
Dazcity

Hi Matthew, i've tried the different channels. The problem doesn't appear to be signal strength, I'm getting around 20 mbps. Yet I'm still getting buffering regularly when streaming and lagging or losing connection when gaming. The openreach engineer spent about an hour and a half testing the line and also the router, she said there was something wrong with the router and it needed replacing?
VileReynard
Hero

Are you in a position to replace wifi devices with wired connections?

Especially your main PC?

Wifi acts as a kind of hub which broadcasts to all devices and all devices listen for the signal intended for them. A wired connection uses the internal switch built into the back of the router which allows for a point-to-point connection.

Wi-fi is a strictly broadcast solution.

grahamt
Rising Star

Agree with VileReynard that the Openreach modem + Netgear (W1000v3?) is/was a good combo. I'm now using a Hub One because I got it with a new contract, wanted to try it and am too lazy to change back. The Hub One works fine for me (and having 5GHz WiFi is nice) but the Netgear is more configurable and has much better info on its LEDs.

Dazcity

Unfortunately not, my only phone socket is by the front door and would be a big job to get anything hardwired due to the house layout. I don't want to have to pay for the master socket to be moved when there is no issue with it or start drilling through walls and hiding cables everywhere.
VileReynard
Hero

Some people find the "home plugs" option useful for getting a hidden ethernet-like connection - but others find them to be a pain. They don't work for everybody and didn't work for me.

Personally, I ran a single piece of Gigabit ethernet (came with the plugs pre-connected) which feeds into a £20 switch. My TV, backup device + couple of computers are connected to the switch and everything runs at full speed with no latency issues.

WiFi doesn't have great latency, even on a good day.

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

@Dazcity, I'd second @VileReynard's suggestion about homeplugs/powerline adapters. I've got a pair in my house and they work wonders although they are dependent on the quality of the electricity wiring and how the power sockets are wired up.

That said, have you tried splitting the 5GHz network from the 2.4GHz as that usually helps if you're using the Hub One router we sent you.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Dazcity

I've ordered a Aigital booster mini plug 300mbps and it's coming tomorrow, is that the sort of thing you mean? How do you split the network? I'm not very tech savvy. Thanks