Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Router Suggestions

FIXED
spind

New Router Suggestions

Hi

My parents and I both have Plusnet fibre (2 separate houses) and both have problems with internet reach around the house, plus it regularly dropping in and out. 

I believe getting a new router would possibly help and just wondered if anyone could suggest a not too expensive router please?  I have looked online although a little confused and don't want to buy a router incompatible with Plusnet. 

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. 

Many thanks. 

15 REPLIES 15
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: New Router Suggestions

Fix

@spind  Welcome to the forum. 
Whist Plusnet insist on calling their hubs a router it is not, it is a combined ADSL/VDSL combined Modem and Router.

The cheapest and a  better hub is a BT Smarthub 6. These are available from auction sites for less than £20. Settings can be accessed in the link from here. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-A-BT-Smarthub-An-Update/m-p/1795292#M24601

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

spind

Amazing, thanks so much @Baldrick1

Thanks for getting back to me so quickly and I hope solving both my and my parents problems!  I shall give the hub you have suggested a go. 

Thanks too for the link re setting it up - really helpful. 

Thanks again Smiley

(lots of 'thanks', I know, but I am excited we may soon have painless internet!)

mrmitch85
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

I agree. I use a BT Hub V6 too. Seems to give much better performance than the original Plusnet hub, and because Plusnet are owned by BT, the Hub works fairly easily on Plusnet lines.

I know a lot of Plusnet users on here have switched to them.

If your / your parent's houses are large though, you might be better off with one of the 'mesh' network routers. There are loads available. My parents got the Google nest mesh system and that gives them internet in the back of the house and in the garden where it wouldn't work before.
spind

Thanks for the extra info and suggestion.
I am hoping the BT Hub will do for me, although my parents do have a larger house and so perhaps we might try the Google Nest Mesh for them. I shall investigate.
Many thanks for your help. Smiley
Baldrick1

@spind 

Before spending big bucks, which is certainly the best, but most expensive option for wireless networks, on a Mesh system, look at the options. https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Distributing-Data-around-Larger-Proper...

If you think that you might need a Mesh syatem then get a Business version of the Smarthub 6. Among the other features that these have they can be set up as a bridge modem, something that is required with many Mesh systems.

Moderator and Customer

spind

Thanks @Baldrick1.
I ordered a standard BT Hub 6 last night for my house and once set up successfully, will look into the various options for parents house.
Once again, very helpful - thank you!
smeech

If you think that you might need a Mesh syatem then get a Business version of the Smarthub 6. Among the other features that these have they can be set up as a bridge modem, something that is required with many Mesh systems.

What's the advantage of a bridge modem over using Plusnet's standard Hub One with DHCP and Wi-Fi disabled?

Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Fibre Broadband to My Router.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Baldrick1

@smeech 

Apart from it being a bodge there’s a discussion on it here. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-One-as-a-modem-only/m-p/1810356#M26384
Note the need to set the mesh as an AP if you want to avoid double NATing.

Moderator and Customer

smeech

Thank you. Interesting discussion, a bodge perhaps but describes pretty much what I devised:

Cable from Hub One to Orbi Internet port

Hub One:  Disabled DHCP, assigned fixed IP to Orbi, Wi-Fi off

Orbi:          No internet login, Router mode, static IP as assigned, DNS pointing to Cloudflare

I suppose in this manner the Hub One is almost acting as a modem.

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

@smeech 

A router connected to a router can complicate the network by adding double NAT. Not an issue if you can work your way around networks though, so that's why I came up with the bodge as described by @Baldrick1.

I would have describe it as inventive rather than a bodge!

Dan.

Baldrick1

@Dan_the_Van 

I was describing having two routers in circuit as a bodge, not your work around.

I see it a bit like FTTC, where broadband is an elegant bodge to save doing the job properly from the start.

Moderator and Customer

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

@Baldrick1 

Apart from it being a bodge there’s a discussion on it here

I misunderstood your post, Apologies

Dan

mrmitch85
Rising Star
Fixes: 3

Yes my parents had had FTTC for long rnought that they still had the original openreach white modem, which then plugged into a separate router.

So for them the modem plugged into the mesh system, replacing the old router.