Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Plusnet router = PS4&XB1 LAN connections fail

FIXED
AsylumSKP
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

New Plusnet router = PS4&XB1 LAN connections fail

My set-up: Plusnet c. 60mbps fibre connection, Plusnet Hub One Sagecom router with wifi disabled, LAN connections to mesh wifi box, PC and 9-port LAN hub (with ongoing LAN connections to PVR, TV, PS4, XB1).

What happened: My first Plusnet router began failing, new router sent out and installed by me (no changes to any settings made by me to either of the routers), LAN connections to PC and mesh wifi all fine, LAN connections to PVR and TV via hub both fine, LAN connection via hub to PS4 and XB1 both failed ("Cannot obtain IP address" and "Cannot connect to DHCP server" respectively). Both were working fine with the old router and both still work fine with wifi, just not LAN. The only change made was switching to the new router.

What I've tried: using confirmed-to-work LAN cables/hub ports/router ports, Enabling DMZ on the "unknown" devices in router settings, geting a fixed IP address allocated by plusnet support, disabling the Plusnet router firewall.

Plusnet support are unwilling to help any further (despite it  being the router that appears to have caused the problems).

Anyone else have any ideas or experience of this?

25 REPLIES 25
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: New Plusnet router = PS4&XB1 LAN connections fail

@AsylumSKP 

Have you tried faxtory resetting the PS4 and XB and setting them up again from scratch?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

AsylumSKP
Dabbler

Did a factory reset of the XB1 and went through initial set up again with it. Failed at connect to internet:

"Cannot connect to your DHCP server"

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@AsylumSKP 

Plan B.

Have you tried setting a fixed IP addess in the XB1 and connecting that way? It should be in the range 192.168 .1.1-63.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

AsylumSKP
Dabbler

Yup, apologies, I should have added this to my OP. I have tried using manual IP addresses and it will fix the "Cannot obtain IP address" issue (naturally) but it then won't be able to connect through to the internet. As per the OP I have also tried using a fixed IP allocated by Plusnet - which also didn't work. The problem appears to be the router blocking all traffic from both consoles for some reason. Even with firewall off, DMZ on.

wakeman
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Hi Just a thought on the XB1 and other console, have you checked in its Network settings your setting the gateway to 192.168.1.254 ? Otherwise it will not see the router to get to the outside world.

Its an easy thing to overlook.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Yup, apologies, I should have added this to my OP. I have tried using manual IP addresses and it will fix the "Cannot obtain IP address" issue (naturally) but it then won't be able to connect through to the internet. 

You'll also need to set the default gateway to 192.168.1.254 , the subnet mask to 255.255.255.0 and the DNS servers , either to the PlusNet ones (212.159.13.49 & 50) or better still Google's (8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4) or OpenDNS (208.67. 222.222 & 208.67. 220.220)

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

AsylumSKP
Dabbler

Yup, you can't do manual connection setup on consoles without subnet mask, default gateway and both DNS settings. I've tried lots of different random IP address variants, Google/Plunet/cloudflare DNS and 2 default gateway variants.

I've just double checked all these again with no joy. As an interesting aside the plusnet tech support person I spoke to did not know what a default gateway was.

I am still convinced that it is the router or a setting in it that is causing this for the simple reason that the router is the only variable that changed between everything working and both consoles stopping working.

wakeman
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Have you tried the Port forwarding options on the hub in the advanced settings tab then firewall, this seems to have extra options to the default port forwarding options, you can specify a specific IP address for your device to used for port forwarding. Just a thought and do you have UPnP turned on as well some devices like Xboxes like that being on.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

It's certainly a strange one this!

First , the firewall and DMZ settings are only relevant to incoming connections. So put the firewall back to default and remove any DMZ settings. I can just about see why DHCP might be failing if the Xbox is remembering the mac address of the previous DHCP server. It shouldnt be doing that , but I suppose its a possibility, but then why would the PS4 be the same ?

As to the router blocking traffic, well I could possibly see why it MIGHT block all wired traffic if it had a fault , but it's fine with the PVR and TV wired , so how would it know to block traffic from others.

The only reason it will block traffic is that the device hasn't got an valid IP in the correct subnet. Setting a static IP on the Xbox should fix that , again unless it hasn't flushed the ARP cache and so it still has an old mac address for the router IP.

There's a similar problem reported here https://gamefaqs.gamespot.com/boards/691088-xbox-one/75086133 and the fix detailed there seems to be settings a static IP , disconnecting , resetting and then switching back to DHCP. Seems a bit convoluted but maybe is a straw worth clutching at? I'd set a static IP of 192.168.1.2 as that's going to be outside of any Hub One DHCP allocated address.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

AsylumSKP
Dabbler

To add some additional context, the XB1 is not really used so is not of interest other than the fact that it too cannot connect to the internet via LAN and I am happy to do factory resets on it (as I did earlier, to no avail). The PS4 is used daily and was working fine right up to change to the new router. That is the one I'd like to get working on LAN again.

DMZ now off (it was a plusnet support suggestion)

Firewall now back on (ditto)

Providing both consoles with static IP addresses fixes the IP address retrieval error (stage 1 of both connection tests) but simply produces a "cannot connect to internet" error message on both. Both have no problems connecting to the internet via wifi nor via LAN with the last box.

AsylumSKP
Dabbler

RE Port forwarding: I assume the "select game or application" can be anything? The list looks like it was last updated in 2010 and has no PSN or PS4 option.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Dont worry about port forwarding f4o the moment. Let's just get the thing to talk to the internet.

Providing both consoles with static IP addresses fixes the IP address retrieval error (stage 1 of both connection tests) but simply produces a "cannot connect to internet" 

Can you ping the static ip from another pc ?

AsylumSKP
Dabbler

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ping 192.168.1.2

Pinging 192.168.1.2 with 32 bytes of data:
Reply from 192.168.1.65: Destination host unreachable.

Ping statistics for 192.168.1.2:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 4, Lost = 0 (0% loss),

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

So , either it still hasn't got the correct ip or I suppose it's just possible that it wont respond to a ping.

Assuming the pc is windows , try an arp - a , does it list 192,168.1.2 as known ?