cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Hub Router very poor Wifi Connection

mezzor
Grafter

New Hub Router very poor Wifi Connection

I seem to be having none stop issues with PN at the moment but now my connection seems to have stabilised I am now experiencing very poor wifi connection from the router.

I live in a 3 story mid terrace and the router is in a living room on the second floor - When on that floor and ground floor the connection is OK - few blips here and there but no where near as bad as on the top floor where the bedrooms are.

My Laptop will lose connection completely every 5 minutes - when I say lose connection it still shows I'm connected with 3 bars but there is no internet connection whatsoever, it's the same with 3 apple devices also so I'm sure it's not a driver issue on my laptop.

The speed is not an issue, as when the connection comes back (I have to disconnect and then reconnect to the router) the speeds are 65mb instantly.

Any idea how to improve this?

7 REPLIES 7
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: New Hub Router very poor Wifi Connection

Install 'inSSIDer' on your laptop and check to see which WiFi channels are clearest, and swap your router channels to those, rather than leave them on Auto. Also if its the Hub One, then separate the 2.4 and 5Ghz channels, and add a 5 to the SSID of the 5Ghz channels so you know which you are connecting to.

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Splitting the 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz channels is a good suggestion, I've seen Apple devices struggle when these are both the same.

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
mezzor
Grafter

@Mustrum wrote:

Install 'inSSIDer' on your laptop and check to see which WiFi channels are clearest, and swap your router channels to those, rather than leave them on Auto. Also if its the Hub One, then separate the 2.4 and 5Ghz channels, and add a 5 to the SSID of the 5Ghz channels so you know which you are connecting to.

Sorry, I'm a bit simple when it comes to routers, I know I must login to access this part but how do I separate them? Is there a guide somewhere?

Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Go to advanced settings/Wireless/5Ghz and where it says Sync with 2.4Ghz select No.

On the same page add 5 to the SSID.

mezzor
Grafter

@Mustrum wrote:

Go to advanced settings/Wireless/5Ghz and where it says Sync with 2.4Ghz select No.

On the same page add 5 to the SSID.

OK so done that, which one do I use? At the moment my iPhone can see the 5Ghz but my laptop cannot?

Kevin
Rising Star

Either. My Ipad works on 2.4 or 5 quite happily.

Kevin.
stoswald
Grafter

If you have a phone download wifi analyzer from the Play Store.  Run that and then see what happens.

My guess is that your router is on the same channel as a wifi signal from next door.  My wifi is often drowned out by a Talk Talk router next door that  causes problems you are experencing (It also seems to follow my router around the channels - fine for a month then I need to change channels again!) I got fed up with my son moaning, so I reverted to using home-plugs for his laptop - the complaints have stopped now!  You can also change the wifi channel if you can't use home-plugs because of circuit constraints or not wanting a loose cable to trip up on!