cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Customer giving up after only 5 days

Rich617

New Customer giving up after only 5 days

Moved from Sky because of the great reviews. I regretted that move instantly but thought I’d at least give Plus Net a chance. After 5 days I’m in my 3rd episode of router problems and now none of our devices will connect.
Do I actually give up and cancel them this quickly?
13 REPLIES 13
Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

Re: New Customer giving up after only 5 days

@Rich617 Welcome  to the forum.

Not if it’s more than 14 days since you signed up with Plusnet, not the go live day, and you want to avoid cancellation charges.

As an alternative why not describe your problem here in more detail?

Getting hold of Plusnet staff is a nightmare at the present time but there is a band of fellow customers who hang around here who might be able to assist.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

As @Baldrick1 suggests, why not tell us the problem(s).  We have all had our own problems to solve along the way and the whole principle of tech internet is sharing knowledge freely.

Rich617

Hi.
Thanks for the response.
The issues are mainly that the WiFi constantly drops out (I’m talking every half hour as an average rate) and devices that have been previously connected suddenly stop connecting with an alert such as ‘password is not recognised’, then an hour later it auto connects... then drops out again.
Note the 14 day comment but it’s irrelevant if there’s no service.
I’ve managed to get a response now suggesting that turning off the 5GHz will fix it.

Let’s see.

Thanks again
TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

The 2.4 a 5.0 wifi have the SAME SSID and password which is guaranteed to confuse any device particularly if they are not dual band.

Suggust you change the SSID of 5.0 if that is the one you uses least but it will always be there as an option. Yes you can turn it off but what's the point?!

There should be a Plusnet note about this when seting up as I know it affects many users..

Rich617

Thanks but that’s far too techy for me
Mav
Fixes: 515

Moderator's note(s):

Thread moved from Fibre Broadband to My Router.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Mav
Fixes: 515

@Rich617 wrote:
Thanks but that’s far too techy for me

There is more information in this thread.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

fwiw

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/td-p/1351950 

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

There is "more information" all over the place but would it not be better if the router was sent out with default settings that worked for the majority?  The option of a better router at a reasonable additional cost would be appreciated by many. I suppose this is why you pay more with BT but it only leads to irritated customers at PN.

richardfleet

I am also feeling very frustrated over very poor wifi speeds and beginning to regret changing to fibre broadband my wifi is regularly below 5Mb/s despite seperating 2.4G and 5G my router is only 7m from the laptop and I'm using an extender which is only 1.5m from the laptop, this is not the speed promised when I changed. Ethernet connection speed is good I hope Plusnet are not going to use "weasel words" to say they're providing the guaranteed minimum speed by ethernet when WiFi is now the normal connection mode

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@richardfleet 

The fact that your connection is OK with an Ethernet cable unfortunately is the extent of Plusnet's responsibility regarding speed. That is fact, not weasel words. No ISP will guarantee WiFi speeds as they are so dependant on local conditions.

Because you have tagged on to this thread in this manner it is not clear whether you are seeking assistance or just sounding off and threatening to leave after 5 days.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

richardfleet

Hi Baldrick1

I dont think Plusnets responsibility ends with the connection to the router, they supplied the router and one which delivers unstable variable WiFi speeds between 0.4 and 20 Mb/s (mostly below 10 Mb/s) is in MHO hardly worth the description of a Wireless Router particularly as my laptop is only 7m from the router through two wooden walls (not even partitian walls) frequently I can't even print as it uses WiFi, I will persevere with problem solving and using ethernet until my contract ends then look at moving.

richardfleet

Hi again, I am sounding off because I feel plusnet are going to try and give up on solving my question, I've separated 2.4 and 5G, changed the SSID and increased the interface speedup to 300Mb/s as recommended by customer services, I've also tried changing channels but my WiFi analyser shows the best 5G channesl are not available on the plusnet router and the ones which are keep jumping from zero to 3.5 stars (out of 10)