cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Customer. Weak WiFi, Struggles to do more than one thing at a time! Prev provider no problems

csjohnson1
Hooked

New Customer. Weak WiFi, Struggles to do more than one thing at a time! Prev provider no problems

I've had Plusnet for about three weeks now after switching. No problems with previous provider. Position of router and connections unchanged. Connected to Master socket with two sockets. All to say the only difference is the provider/router. Tried changing channels to no avail. Speed with ethernet connection is slightly over guaranteed minimum. If one device is streaming, all others struggle or disconnect.

Tags (3)
12 REPLIES 12
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Re: New Customer. Weak WiFi, Struggles to do more than one thing at a time! Prev provider no problem

PN's router has poor wifi capability; why not reconfigure your previous one to PN's settings?
Other advice on wifi, can be found by using SEARCH box.
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Re: New Customer. Weak WiFi, Struggles to do more than one thing at a time! Prev provider no problem

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from Fibre Broadband to My Router.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

@csjohnson1 

Plusnet's Hub One is based on the bt HH5 and it's not a great router. The HH6 which I bought on Gumtree for £15 produced easily 20% better wifi. There's an excellent guide on this forum to setting up the HH6 for Plusnet, lots of us have done it with excellent results.

csjohnson1
Hooked

Thank you for the suggestions so far. The upshot appears to be, when you sign up with Plusnet, they provide you with a useless router which is incapable of delivering the service you're paying for. I wish I'd been told upfront that I'd have to spend more money if I wanted to be able to use the internet in the next room!

Baldrick1
Fixes: 417

@csjohnson1 

The Plusnet service that you pay for is not over a wireless link. The Hub One is a budget hub supplied by a budget provider. It works well enough for the majority of customers. Some wireless problems can be resolved by either changing channels or separating the bands, see https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840.

If you follow the advice of @Longliner  you will find links to the setting instructions here:  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-A-BT-Smarthub-An-Update/m-p/1795292#M24601

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

csjohnson1
Hooked

Plusnet advertising states as an unlimited fibre customer, a "Wi-Fi router included for a great broadband performance." If this is not the case, it should not be included. What modern household wants an internet service where you either all have to be in the same room or have wires running all over the house? 

Baldrick1

@csjohnson1 

Have you tried to help yourself by changing channels or splitting the bands? The wireless performance is not great but should not be as bad as you suggest.

Moderator and Customer

csjohnson1
Hooked

I take objection to your loaded question "have you tried to help yourself?" What a curious attitude for someone posting to a forum dedicated to helping people resolve issues? Go and read my original post again and you will see that I have already tried changing channels.

csjohnson1
Hooked

Thank you for your suggestion Gel. It might be a couple of days before I'm able to do it, but I'll give it a try.

csjohnson1
Hooked

Thank you for the suggestion. I'm going to see if replicating settings from my previous provider's router as suggested by @Gel  improves the situation as my first option, but an upgraded router might be an investment worth making. 

Baldrick1

@csjohnson1 wrote:

I take objection to your loaded question "have you tried to help yourself?" What a curious attitude for someone posting to a forum dedicated to helping people resolve issues? Go and read my original post again and you will see that I have already tried changing channels.

I get the message, I will go away..

Moderator and Customer

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

@csjohnson1 

Everyone gets annoyed when things don’t work first time as they expected, but you seem particularly peeved. If your previous provider was satisfactory, why change? Maybe it was cost, so please realise that PN is a cheap and cheerful ISP which provides a cheap and cheerful router which meets the needs of most customers – perhaps a million of them. The broadband service itself is excellent, in many years I haven’t had a minute’s downtime, and the staff are brilliant (once you get through to them – and don’t even mention the PN accounts system).

If you provide more info there are many here who may help – among these would have been Baldrick, who spends hours producing and maintaining the guide to setting up the HH6 which I suggested earlier. He knows routers/wifi inside out but on seeing your comment re loaded question I’m not surprised he has returned to other people more appreciative of his efforts. Frankly I don’t blame him, it's your loss.

You might consider posting the name of your previous ISP/router from which someone may recommend a suitable replacement if you find £5-£15 for a HH6 on Gumtree to be too expensive or not expensive enough. For my own part, our house has concrete walls throughout and while the HH6 does penetrate a couple of them we have no problems thanks to a couple of TP-link extenders.