Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Customer / User

FIXED
dustymiller259
Dabbler

New Customer / User

I'm potentially a new user to plusnet, and after being on Virgin for a while have a nice Linksys WRT1900ACS cable router, along with a separate attic located Cisco dual band AP to cover the wireless needs of the house. As I only need a modem, what is the best / most cost effective modem only I can get, rather than have to use the PlusNet combi modem ./ router.

Cheers

8 REPLIES 8
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: New Customer / User

@dustymiller259  Welcome to the forum.

A Huawei HG612 Model 3B is cheap and plentiful on auction sites such as Ebay. You can hack the firmware easily to extract your broadband link statistics. They were the standard BT option for many years and still work well.

The even cheaper option is to switch the wireless off on the Hub One and use your Linksys in Access Point mode.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

dustymiller259
Dabbler

Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but where does one find the user name and login details to use with the aforementioned modem, am i correct in thinking is my plus.net user credentials, and my login password for the plusnet site ?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

You dont need to configure the modem with any username/password. Your Plusnet username & password are configured in the router.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dustymiller259
Dabbler

I'm planning to ditch the Plusnet modem, and use the HG612 with my own firewall behind it, so need to put the ADSL login details somewhere - surely

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

In whatever is creating the ppoe connection behind the modem
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dustymiller259
Dabbler

OK, i get that, but am i correct in thinking that the username and password are my plus.net username and plus.net password ? that i need to use to create the PPPOE connection ?

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Fix

It's your plusnet username with @plusdsl.net after it. The password is the same one you use to login to the member centre.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

dustymiller259
Dabbler

Perfect, exactly what I thought. Thanks for the clarification.