cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Connection - Networking Problem off Hub1

bathsheba
Dabbler

New Connection - Networking Problem off Hub1

I was connected to PlusNet yesterday, having previously been with BT.   The two PCs we have connected through ethernet cable work fine, and I have split the wifi into two bands and this also works ok.

The problem is: I also have a switch connected by ethernet cable, and off the switch are running a Playstation3, 4, Xbox1, and a LG smart tv - all through ethernet cables.      This topology is unchanged, and worked fine with the BT hub for several years - but all these devices are unable to see a successful internet connection now with the PlusNet hub in place.

Obviously a workaround is to use wifi connections for these, but I want to fix the ethernet access for speed and reliability reasons.     Not sure how I can diagnose the problem?     

To be clear, I have not attempted to configure anything at Hub (other than splitting wifi channels) but then I thought this would be a plug and play thing.    (Also, it is not intended to have more than one of these connected devices live and in use at any one time)

Thanks.

9 REPLIES 9
OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Re: New Connection - Networking Problem off Hub1

Hi @bathsheba, thanks for your post.

We're sorry to hear of your networking issues.

The first thing we'd look to do is try each device individually plugged directly into the router, interchanging the cables as you go to enable us to rule everything out. Although the topology hasn't changed it's definitely worth ensuring everything is still running perfectly.

Alternatively, a 'quick fix', would be to utilise your BT Hub for use with our service, although we appreciate that you oughtn't really have to do this.

DS
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 22

You'll more than likely know this, but the hub1 and the home hub 5 are the same.

It does sound like the other router has allocated an IP address for (eg) the XB1, and if that device remained power up, it could have remember that IP - for the sake of this reply it could be 192.168.1.65

Now your new router could have assigned that address (.65) to another device and now your XB1 is in limbo.

If it were me - turn off all problematic devices (including the switch if it's mains powered), then connect the switch first and then switch the remaining devices on, one at a time.

bathsheba
Dabbler

@DS @OskarPapa 

Thank you both for your advice.   I will try the diagnostics you have suggested over the weekend.    

(Although - on a single small point -  I am pretty sure everything else was turned off apart from switch which is not powered)

One of the points that interests me is use of the BT hub.    This is a SmartHub6, and I see from your comment that I now effectively have a home hub 5.   

1) Is there any reason to think that - for PlusNet - the SmartHub6 might be generally better than the Hub1 (because versions?)?

2) Also, is there any info on how I could configure the SmartHub6 to use for PlusNet?

Thanks

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @bathseba 

Thanks for the update. 

2) Also, is there any info on how I could configure the SmartHub6 to use for PlusNet?

Have a look here

Kind Regards,

MoR

DS
Seasoned Champion

the SmartHub6 might be generally better than the Hub1

I too was using the BTSH6 and found it to be a very good router;)

(only dropped back to assist Plusnet with some testing on their router, still waiting for the nodLips_are_sealed to go back to my H6Thumbs_Up)

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@DS wrote:

You'll more than likely know this, but the hub1 and the home hub 5 are the same.

I agree that the hardware is the same but the firmware is different.

@bathsheba 

To me swapping to your Smarthub is a no brainer. This might help  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

DS
Seasoned Champion

@Baldrick1 wrote

@DS wrote:

I agree that the hardware is the same but the firmware is different.

Stick 4.7.5.1.83.8.264 into googleLips_are_sealed

(might be different firmware number (PN 4.7.5.1.83.8.263), but issues are the same)

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@DS 

I bow to your superior research. I had assumed that Plusnet had gone their own way with the firmware but it would appear that Plusnet only tinker with the cosmetics.

As BT have a HH5A and HH5B, which as I understand it use different chipsets, I wonder whether this is a factor?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

DS
Seasoned Champion

I bow to your superior research

Nah, twas a fluke. As I agreed to go back to my H1, I started 'testing' and documenting the results, then I happened to stick PN's latest software version into google and those reports also came up on the first page!!

I had assumed that Plusnet had gone their own way with the firmware but it would appear that Plusnet only tinker with the cosmetics

Up until that point, I too thought PN were the only ones doing this, which actually tripped me up as I thought PN were going one better than their owners, now it all falls in to placeLips_are_sealed

As BT have a HH5A and HH5B, which as I understand it use different chipsets, I wonder whether this is a factor?

I know the 5b's were harder to get hold of, as those whom got one stated theirs were working better. I know the 5a has a, hmm, how to word it, a modem that didn't 'like being used', again that's why some users of those went back to the OR modem. Who'd of thought bypassing the internal modem would fix that too!Azn

(another possible factor, direct from OR, is that they are currently aware of an issue with certain brands of cards in the cabinets, and are actively swapping them out. They wouldn't confirm if it was Huawei or ECI, but I was told he shouldn't have told me as it happened to slip out during a conversation)