Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear ORBI RBK50 in Router Mode

FIXED
joncollin81

Netgear ORBI RBK50 in Router Mode

Hi PlusNet Forum folks!

Using a BT Smart Hub (HH6) with a PlusNet FTTC connection. I was trying to improve my WiFi performance in parts of the house furthest from the router so I invested in the two-node RBK50 WiFi mesh kit. Set it up last night, disabled WiFi on my router and moved all ethernet-connected devices from the router to the main RBK50.

I also have Sky Q with one Mini box, but I have disabled their WiFi mesh and connected both boxes to the RBK50'S via ethernet.

So far everything seems to be working well, however I was expecting the RBK50 to install in AP mode and it seems to have chosen Router mode instead. Devices connected to the RBK50's are being assigned IP's in the 10.0.0.2, etc range. Does this mean there is a double NAT situation happening? I've been warned this is a bad thing. Should I be concerned?

Appreciate everyone's advice here!

Many thanks!
2 REPLIES 2
Baldrick1
Fixes: 416

Re: Netgear ORBI RBK50 in Router Mode

Fix

@joncollin81  Welcome to the forum.

Yes, yiu are double NATing, see https://kb.netgear.com/30186/What-is-Double-NAT. You are using scenario 2.

Your cheapest solution is to go on to an auction site, flog your Smarthub and buy a Huawei HG612 Model 3B Modem.

Alternatively buy a new VDSL modem or a combined modem/router with the capability to be run in bridge mode. I believe that cheap TP-Link ones can.

If you use the mesh  in AP mode you lose the use of any extra bells and whistles such as guest mode (should it have one).

I have never tried it but think that the Business versions of the Smarthub can be set up in Bridge Modem mode.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

joncollin81

Re: Netgear ORBI RBK50 in Router Mode

Thanks @Baldrick1 the business version of the smart hub seems like a good option, will check that out. Appreciate the reply!