cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear Nighthawk D7000 on Fibre - easy to setup?

harryw66
Grafter

Netgear Nighthawk D7000 on Fibre - easy to setup?

Hi all,

I am currently using a Bipac 8800NL and have ordered a Netgear D7000 to upgrade to. 

I am not really that techie when it comes setup of ADSL/VDSL connections etc.

I have noted the basic instructions on this site regards setting up a Fibre connection from this page https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

Is there much more to it - any gotchas etc I should be aware of with the D7000?

I did a search of this forum and the most recent posts were to do with IPTV - but I dont use that anyway.

My missus has a busy weekend planned for me and she hates me waste time with upgrades etc Embarrassed

So any tips advice that will help with a quick and easy upgrade would be appreciated?

Thanks!

21 REPLIES 21
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Netgear Nighthawk D7000 on Fibre - easy to setup?

This may help you specifically configure the D7000:

https://community.plus.net/t5/Tech-Help-Software-Hardware-etc/Nether-Nighthawk-D7000-Router/td-p/130...

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
harryw66
Grafter

Thanks - I will check the link... But  I cannot even get that far.....

I swapped over the cables etc and powered up and I can't connect.

The ethernet card does not even get an IP address, the WIfi attempts to connect but then says 'Cant connect to this network'.

The WPS button wont even blink when I press and hold it for 3-5 seconds.

I tried rebooting the PC - but still no IP address assigned to the Ethernet card. Tried ipconfig renew but that fails as it claims no media connected.

My android phones wont even connect via wifi even though I double check the password printed on the router etc.

Not a good start - I am wondering if I have duff one!

Switched the cables back to the Billion and it all works fine.

bill888
Champion

hmm, sounds like you have a defective D7000....

Do any of the LED status lights for the ethernet LAN port on back of your PC, and the corresponding LAN port on the D7000 light up?

Have you tried pushing the reset button on the D7000 ?

How to restore the factory default settings?

1. Use a pointed object such as a pen or a paper clip to press and hold the Reset push button, located on the bottom of the router, for over 5 seconds until the Power LED blinks amber.
  2. Release the Reset push button, and wait for the router to reboot. The factory default settings are restored so that you can access the router from your web browser using the factory default settings.

http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/29268/~/d7000-faqs?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

harryw66
Grafter

Hi,

Yes the relevant lights do light up on the front and on my laptop ethernet port.

I even tried connecting the laptop direct to the router using the supplied ethernet cable - no hubs/switches etc - but still no ip address assigned.

I tried the reset and after that I did managed to get 192.168.0.2 assigned to my laptop ethernet. But other devices still could not establish a Wifi connection.

With the laptop I navigated to 192.168.0.1 and I got the Netgear login page, but once I select Country and provider and click next I just get a DNS error. This is regardless of if I select the 'use genie' button or manual config button. I tried ipconfig and again it said 'media disconnected'...

As soon as I plug the Bipac back in, my laptop gets a valid IP address assigned within 1 minute or so & Internet access within 2 minutes or so.

I think it is definitely faulty and needs to go back. Question is whether I get a replacement or just stick to the Bipac.

Forgot to say: thanks for your help - appreciated.

bill888
Champion

The recurring 'media disconnected' doesn't seem right.  Does the D7000 show any signs it may be 'rebooting' itself when you witness this message?

This is a long shot, but try disconnecting the DSL cable, and then go through trying to set up the D7000  manually.  ie. don't use the Genie wizard.    If you do manage to get to the end of the manual configuration, finally insert the DSL cable to establish broadband connection.

For your wireless devices, is the security key being rejected when you enter it?

Or is the key being accepted, but the wireless device is not getting an IP address.   Or the lack of internet causes the wireless device to report there is no connection, which would be true.  See if you can browse to 192.168.0.1 from a smartphone or tablet.

Are you able to log into the D7000 to discover what firmware version is installed?   v1.0.0.38 is the very latest.  You could download it and install it from your PC as a last resort before returning it.

harryw66
Grafter

Cheers will try DSL cable disconnect route.

For the Wireless devices it appears to accept the password but then moments later it says cannot connect to this network. If I try entering an incorrect password, the message is different i.e. 'password incorrect'

With the phone and tablet it does not maintain the Wifi connection so I cannot try and navigate to 192.168.0.1

harryw66
Grafter

Ok, well removing the Fibre cable helped....for a while.....

I was able to connect via Wifi and get an IP address etc. I managed to change a few settings and all seemed ok.

But after applying a few more changes, it stopped connecting. I powered it off and on, but still no connection. I then tried a reset - still nothing.

Now the only lights that come on are the two of the ethernet LEDs - or sometimes the power light keeps flashing for several minutes.

I have put in for a replacement order - will try another one - see what happens....

Dev
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I got a Nighthawk from Argos about a month ago and tried for 3 days to set it up without any luck. I had to return it and stick with my old TG582N.

elementaltm
Rising Star

@harryw66 I recommend you only connect via. Ethernet cable. Ensure cable is plugged into LAN Port and not Ethernet (WAN) Port of the D7000. Turn off WiFi on PC whilst you are doing this. Use a *Fixed IP address for the initial connect whilst you configure the D7000.

For good measure I would also Flush DNS Cache on PC every time you change IP Config.

In Addition

• Also not sure if you upgraded the Firmware at any stage but in my experience you must hard reset (stick paperclip in the units rear...) every dam time otherwise It's more unstable than normal!
  • Double check LAN MTU is set at 1492 (FTTC - BT Openreach / Plusnet) I have found D7000 defaults incorrectly as 1488
  • Change 2.4Ghz WiWi Channel from Auto
  • Currently to gain any sense of stability I have also had to disable: 5Ghz Wireless and checkmark: 'Disable Port Scan and DoS Protection' Angry
  • For enhanced security 'Disable Router's PIN' under: Advanced / Advanced Setup / Wireless Settings / WPS Settings /

Best of luck!

*PC Static IP Example for Initial Config of D7000

IP: 192.168.0.10
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Router: 192.168.0.1
DNS: 192.168.0.1

KABOOM!
harryw66
Grafter

Cheers for all the tips etc.

I am awaiting a replacement from Amazon today.

Will feedback once I get it and have a go...

I have owned several Netgear routers over the years and generally found them relatively reliable and stable. The Bipac was purchased because it was the best cost option for single Fibre Modem + Router device 2 years ago when I switched to fibre..I am hoping this D7000 was just an unlucky faulty unit..

I did consider a few other brands with built in Fibre modem - but the ones I checked did not allow device names to be specified in the MAC address Filter. An issue for me as we have a reasonably high turnover of Wifi devices at home and it becomes a pain deleting device from the list (the Bipac allowed 20 devices in the list) - if you cant name them when adding them.

If someone know another decent brand of router with built in Fibre Modem that allows naming of items in the Mac address Filter please let me know.

Thanks

SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

@harryw66

A good place to start would be at Kitz forum for details of all-in-one modem/routers http://forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php/topic,14436.0.html

Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
harryw66
Grafter

Hi,

Got my replacement router - connected and running within a few minutes. Just applied the upgrade to latest firmware.

With regards the Kitz site - thanks for the link. I had visited the site, and looked up the user manual for a few other brands of modem routers - but the few I checked did not have a MAC filter device naming functionality.

Cheers anyways for the help to everyone.

Thanks!

elementaltm
Rising Star

@harryw66 I'd be interested if you could let me know how you get on, as I am currently in discussion with Netgear Technical Support regarding the issues I am having and Im trying to gain a better understanding as to whether my issues are widespread or not. Tanks velly mucho.
KABOOM!
harryw66
Grafter

The new replacement I got from Amazon today is working fine so far.
Only outstanding problem is with a wireless printer. But then the same printer had issues with the Bipac

Will report back after a few days...