cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear NightHawk X6 Router

Fjfleetham

Netgear NightHawk X6 Router

Hi All,

I am joining PlusNet from Virgin Media in a week or so. The Virgin router has a modem only mode which I understand the PlusNet router doesn’t do.

I want to use my NetGear Nighthawk X6 router but believe I need to buy a 3rd party modem to do so ?

Can someone advise what the right approach is & provide guidance on what modem would fit
3 REPLIES 3
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Netgear NightHawk X6 Router

@Fjfleetham  Welcome to the forum.

You will find a list here:  https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/What-is-a-suitable-VDSL-modem-for-ASUS-RT-AC86U/m-p/1737761#...

In my opinion the best budget option is a Model 3B Huawei HG612. These are quite cheap from auction sites such as Ebay and can easily be unlocked so that you can monitor the DSL performance. They were originally one of the two makes supplied by BT when installing fibre.

Your other option is to use the Plusnet supplied hub but switch off the hub wireless and configure the Nighthawk in Access Point Mode. The downside of doing this is that whilst you will get the advantage of improved wireless you will lose the other enhanced Nighthawk 'bells and whistles'.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Fjfleetham

Thank you!
I’ll try & get one of those modems
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router