Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear DM 200 Faulty Modem?

FIXED
fb
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Netgear DM 200 Faulty Modem?

I bought a DM200 modem last week but every time I try to configure internet settings (either manually or via the Netgear Genie) for PlusNet fibre broadband, I am confronted by "ISP error incorrect username or password."  Netgear support talked me through the manual method and the Genie method - "ISP error " popped up twice. They implied PlusNet was responsible for the problem. Could this be so? Other community members seem to have passed this initial hurdle before hitting a snag further along the set up procedure.

I can't imagine why PlusNet fibre would discriminate against one DM200 but not others NOR why it allows me to connect a BT HomeHub 5 router but not my DM200 with the same configuration.

Not being technically minded, I am inclined to think that the DM200 is faulty. Can anyone,please, offer me an alternative explanation?

11 REPLIES 11
SpendLessTime
Hero
Fixes: 86

Re: Netgear DM 200 Faulty Modem?

Fix

There are normally 2 possible answers (if we assume that the Netgear isn't faulty)

1. The required information isn't entered correct (basic info required is shown at https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/ )
  2. The router software doesn't like one of the characters in the password you have set so it doesn't use your correct password. (For example, it may object to some punctuation characters used)

So if everything is correct for 1 then changing the password at the member centre may be worth a try.

Option 1 information is (to save you looking it up)

If you've got fibre broadband, here are the settings you need. Some of these terms can vary from router to router, but these are the most commonly used.

It asks for: Use:
Broadband username or login name yourusername@plusdsl.net
Connection type or encapsulation PPPoE Always On
Password The password you use to log in to the Member Centre
VLAN Active
VLAN ID (802.1q) 101
VLAN ID (802.1p) 0
Ex - Plusnet Customer (2009 - 2023) now with BT
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I believe there is another possible issue with the DM200 as regards VLAN ID. An FTTC connection requires a VLAN ID of 101 to be set on the connection. The HH5 (and PN Hub One) will automatically set this, but from what I can glean on the internet, the DM200 doesn't set it automatically. I don't have a DM200 myself but, again. from what I can find, it's not obvious where this can be set in the DM200 configuration and the online manual is not that helpful!

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

fb
Dabbler

@SpendLessTime

1 The required information is absolutely correct. I used it to reconnect the BT HomeHub alternately between assays on the  DM200.

2 My password consists of upper/lower case letters and numerals; so nothing there that a fully functional modem could object to.

Thank you for suggestions which will be useful when I next contact Netgear support.

fb
Dabbler

@MisterW

Thank you for your troubles especially in scanning through the pdf manual, which I did before trying to set up the modem. The same scant information appears in the Quick Set Up Guide and in Netgear's official video:- https://youtu.be/EkOdNVC79vg  which has attracted some bad comments.

I can confirm that the Netgear Genie does automatically set the right parameters.

Talking of scant (but identical) set up information from several sources, something has just struck me. I need to check it out.

fb
Dabbler

@SpendLessTime

@MisterW

Thank you both for your thoughts. I said I'd check out an aftethought. Quite simply I hadn't realised I had a PlusNet email account. When I entered this as my username in the Netgear genie, the set up wizard returned "No internet detected"

Once again thank you for your time and thoughts.

Brian

jonathandibble
Dabbler

Hi @fb,  did you resolve your problem getting the DM200 connecting?

fb
Dabbler

@jonathandibble

Yes, thanks.The Netgear genie specifically asks for Plusnet's website login details, emphasising that it is not the same as dsl login details. The manual alternative works with the dsl login details. 

fb
Dabbler

@jonathandibble

Also available from eBuyer:and classified as a cable router  (I bought mine a bit cheaper from Argos):- TP-Link Archer C60 AC1350 Wireless Router

fb
Dabbler

@fb wrote:

@jonathandibble

.I bought the Netgear DM200 modem as an afterthought on reliability (my Plusnet hub became severely unreliable after 18 months and the BT HH5, with which I replaced it, began to develop signs of unreliability 6 months later). 

fb
Dabbler

As a Newbie I made a hash of editing message 7. I simply wanted to delete the first two paragraphs as I realised they were more appropriate to another thread, namely:-

Asus BRT-AC828 Router
by jonathandibble in My Router   (message 7).

After some browsing I concluded that I should have sought a moderator's help - yes?

jonathandibble
Dabbler

My internet connection is now set up with a Netgear DM200 working as a modem connected to a WAN port in my Asus BRT-AC828.

Five days in the connection has been rock solid, the WiFi from the Asus BRT-AC828 serves the whole house admirably.  I am sure the setup will need some minor tweaks along the way, but it is so much more resilient than than the PlusNet One Router.  My son is a massive gamer and the wired connection to router regularly started to get "laggy" and a reset of the router was a daily operation.

Keeping my fingers crossed, but thank you to everyone who has commented and offered advice.