cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear DGND3700v1 for Plusnet fibre, and Plusnet router as access point?

lowden
Grafter

Netgear DGND3700v1 for Plusnet fibre, and Plusnet router as access point?

At the moment, I am on Plusnet ADSL broadband, using a Netgear DGND3700v1 router. I've installed the richud firmware (https://www.richud.com/wiki/DGND3700_V1_Transmission_Firmware#ADLS.2FVDSL) on it already, replacing the original unmaintained Netgear firmware. I suspect that FTTC will soon arrive in my postcode, also I'm planning to get an access point and run Ethernet from the router to it in the attic.

So I have a few questions, based on a Plusnet fibre setup guide I once found (and can't find any more - their support pages are a maze of circular hyperlinks!) for when FTTC arrives and I make the switch to it.

1) Will my DGND3700v1 connect directly to the service, without needing Plusnet's specific fibre modem which the setup guide mentioned? I'd prefer to keep it and just tweak the settings and port used, rather than have two boxes using 2 power sockets.

2) Since (according to the setup guide) signing up for Plusnet fibre will get me one of their standard routers, can I then keep and configure that as just a wifi access point and use its 3 remaining Ethernet ports up in the attic? I ask because the DGND3700v1 can't do this, and if I can, it'll save me buying an access point.

3) I presume getting Plusnet fibre means no change to my single-port master socket, and I just keep using a microfilter between the fibre modem (or the DGND3700v1 if it does that job) and the master socket.

13 REPLIES 13
Mustrum
Community Veteran
Fixes: 76

Re: Netgear DGND3700v1 for Plusnet fibre, and Plusnet router as access point?

Your router is adsl2 only, so you will need to think again. ISPs don’t supply modems these days, they use combined router/modem single boxes, which can’t be set to modem only.

If you have any extension sockets, your speeds are likely to be restricted with your current socket, Openreach will replace the master socket with a combined VDSL filtered faceplate if they are called out for a fault.

lowden
Grafter

I honestly think my router will work with VDSL to some exent. I found this: (https://community.plus.net/t5/Fibre-Broadband/Netgear-DGND3700v1-VDSL-working-without-openreach-mode...) Perhaps you are thinking of the v2 which was ADSL only, or that the standard firmware somehow hid the fibre modem function? In so far as I understand that thread, it seems that my router will do some of the fibre work, it's just than I'm not sure if it's self-sufficient (having never seen the Plusnet fibre cabling kit)

I don't have any extension sockets. I got an independent phone engineer to rip out the maze of internal phone cabling, leaving me with just the one socket at the front of the house.

dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

it's just than I'm not sure if it's self-sufficient (having never seen the Plusnet fibre cabling kit)

There's no difference in cabling between ADSL and FTTC(VDSL). It's either an RJ11 plugged into an NTE5c ADSL/VDSL faceplate if you have one, or it's an RJ11 plugged into a standard filter which is then connected to the normal Openreach socket.

So IF your DGND3700 really has a VDSL capable modem (and I can't say for certain that it has!) then it SHOULD work.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@lowden 

Yes, you can use a Plusnet Hub One as an Access Point. Instructions are here.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 11

@lowden - Thanks for the interesting link

1) Will my DGND3700v1 connect directly to the service, without needing Plusnet's specific fibre modem which the setup guide mentioned?

Apparently (from the website linked to) yes. Plusnet settings are used in a similar way to the BT settings however you will need your password. 

2) Since (according to the setup guide) signing up for Plusnet fibre will get me one of their standard routers, can I then keep and configure that as just a wifi access point and use its 3 remaining Ethernet ports up in the attic?

You could use the WAN port (accepting you will have two NAT's).

3) I presume getting Plusnet fibre means no change to my single-port master socket, and I just keep using a microfilter between the fibre modem (or the DGND3700v1 if it does that job) and the master socket.

I would put a filter plate in between the two parts of the Master socket (assuming it's that design) as from my experience it's better than a filter.

I am the satisfied customer....
Baldrick1

@markhawkin wrote:

2) Since ....

You could use the WAN port (accepting you will have two NAT's).

Have you ever tried this?

3) I presume .......

I would put a filter plate in between the two parts of the Master socket (assuming it's that design) as from my experience it's better than a filter

A filtered faceplate is certainly a better solution. They are not expensive, you just need to get the correct one. If you need advice then post a photo of your master socket.

Moderator and Customer

lowden
Grafter

Thanks for that information, it all helps me get closer! Getting the right documentation on this situation is tricky, because of the strange history of the router. Off the shelf, Netgear UK sold it as an ADSL/VDSL router, but with the firmware not giving access to the fibre modem functionality. In the original manual, the diagrams show an external modem being connected to its WAN port. And that firmware stopped being updated a few years ago BUT.....

User 'richud' ported Netgear firmware developed for newer routers to it, unlocking extra functionality. For example, I use its ability to support SMB2 on its USB port (The official Netware firmware only does SMB1). The trouble is, richud's documentation is much more technical, and doesn't always answer my stupid questions.

For example, I can infer that it seems to have made the fibre modem functionality (which Netgear hid in the UK) accessible, and there are users on this board who have worked out the right settings for Plusnet fibre, but its not hand-holdy enough to tell me whether or not I should connect my Plusnet fibre to the (RJ-11?) port marked ADSL, and not the WAN Ethernet port that Netgear said was for fibre.

Also, on the 'how to make it work' thread I linked to, the screenshots aren't from richud's latest 'Genie' style firmware, they are from a 'legacy' branch which richud says exists because 'DHCP Extra Options (Option 61) doesn't work on latest GENIE firmware'. As I don't know whether this was relevant, I don't know whether to stick with my up-to-date firmware, or replace it with the legacy firmware that people have got working.

I always feel just a couple of feet away from understanding!

markhawkin
Pro

@Baldrick1 

"Have you ever tried this?"

Not that way round, no.

When I first had "fibre" I used the Hub One connecting to the line and the WAN port of another router into a LAN port on the Hub One.

With sensible choice of IP address ranges it all worked for me and the overall performance wasn't bad but this isn't a generally "recommended" approach for most requirements.

Quite quickly I moved to an Openreach modem instead of the Hub One and that suited my needs much better.

lowden
Grafter

@Baldrick1 I can't see the link to the instructions you mentioned - is it me or has it gone missing? Ta!

markhawkin
Pro

@lowden

Trusting that the alternative firmware really does make VDSL work, you would want to connect the line to the standard "ADSL" connection. The WAN port would be for an Openreach modem.

As far as I know, Plusnet doesn't need DHCP option 61 (I believe Sky does) so I think you could stick to this "up to date firmware".

As a rule of thumb, assuming what works for BT works for Plusnet is a good start.

One other point to give at least a passing thought to, is that equipment now sold for VDSL should have been certified and the lack of that certification may be what stops Netgear from enabling your device for direct connection to a VDSL line in the U.K.

The certification scheme may also have come after your device was sold and originally the approach for VDSL was the Openreach Modem and WAN port connection to a router.

Whatever you do, I suggest starting with the Hub One on the line and once your service has been working for a week or two think about whether you want to try using your router in another configuration (via a modem or otherwise).

lowden
Grafter

@markhawkin That's good advice! I want the Hub One as a secondary access point, but that could wait a week or two....

Baldrick1

@lowden wrote:

@Baldrick1 I can't see the link to the instructions you mentioned - is it me or has it gone missing? Ta!

Second try https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-a-2nd-Plusnet-Hub1-as-a-Wireless-Access-point/td-p/138...

Moderator and Customer