cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear DGBD3700 - Will it work with fibre?

FIXED
TeeGee
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 1

Netgear DGBD3700 - Will it work with fibre?

It is officially a ADSL+ router but rated at 600Mbps. Would this work with fibre as I am quite fond of it and its settings are very flexible?

14 REPLIES 14
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

Re: Netgear DGBD3700 - Will it work with fibre?

Fix

@TeeGee No it won't, I'm afraid. Reading the description, it is an ADSL-only modem/router.

John
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@jab1 But presumably could be used with a separate modem?

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 248

@198kHz That thought did occur to me after I posted, but I got distracted before I had chance to add the comment.

John
TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

I think that answers the question! I assume a fibre modem is different to the ADSL one incorporated. I will just have to accept change  but I hate old kit not being used when still working. With a useable 10Mbps connection not sure I need fibre but it seems to be a reasonable deal come the end of the year.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@TeeGee 

Yes ADSL and VDSL modems are different. More modern ones will do both.

You could: 

!. Keep the Netgear device but convert it into a Wireless Access Point, connect it to your new Hub One and use it to expand your network or to  use instead of the Hub One's currently flaky wireless performance. An Internet search will tell you how to set it up in WAP mode.

2. Buy a modem from an auction site such as a Huawei HG612 model 3B to use with it.

3. Flog it on an auction site.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

First Decision is what to do when contract expires next month. If I stay with PN can do no wrong in giving the Hub1 a go but a family member might use my current router. I certainly do not need any more wires in my office! I currently have a Netgear range extender which I am very pleased with together with homepluds to TVs.

A quick browse on Ebay shows HH6 at reasonable prices but Netgears are not cheap!

Baldrick1

@TeeGee wrote:

A quick browse on Ebay shows HH6 at reasonable prices but Netgears are not cheap!

Sorry, I'm missing your point here. This Netgear router might suit you fine but the simple fact is that it is old and obsolete.

Moderator and Customer

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

Not sure I made my point clear! Yes it is old and obsolete but works well and I am generally happy with the brand so would like to consider a later version potentially for VDSL even if not the very latest.  It is not that I can't afford state of the art, its just that my requirements are comparatively modest.

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Full quote of preceding post removed as per Forum rules.

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

Just a further thought. If the HH6 is so much better why are people selling them and what are they replacing them with?

Baldrick1

@TeeGee 

They are being sold by BT Retail customers, possibly because they are moving to a different/cheaper ISP or moving to FTTP. Alternatively they may want more bells and whistles in terms of functionality. They are not the best that money can buy, they are a no frills device available for not much money with better performance than anything that Plusnet offers. If you can find a similarly priced Netgear ADSL/VDSL modem/router with the same performance for similar money then I would say buy it.

Moderator and Customer

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

I'll second that, HH6 works very well ... bad news is that BT has been charging  £43 for non-return of Hubs since last year so the supply is not inexhaustible 😟

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

All questions answered with thanks to all. Will definately go for higher speed with new contract and play it by ear.

TeeGee
Seasoned Pro

I though I would add to my own thread having now signed up for Fibre and received the Hub One. I was quite impressed that it really is "plug and play" and set itself up with no user input required. I did actually change the SSID and wifi password as it was quicker to do that than have to change it on all the active devices.

The wifi is no stronger than my ancient Netgear so the existing repeater does a good job to make up for it. Two things are really annoying (make that three, its pink!) every time I move it on my desk I press the WPS button, and that bright blue indicator bar is SO annoying I have stuck a nice postcard over it with BluTack!

This really is a case for giving the customer the option of paying extra for a (discounted?) better one.

Longliner
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

@TeeGee says "This really is a case for giving the customer the option of paying extra for a (discounted?) better one."

That option is easy -- find a HH6 as Baldrick suggests above, get 20% better wifi, ability to dim that annoying light, and a better product all round for only £15 or so ...