cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Netgear D6400 VDSL // REFUSES to connect to Plusnet service // HELP!

spawnsworth

Netgear D6400 VDSL // REFUSES to connect to Plusnet service // HELP!

Hi guys,

I hope someone can help me!  I've bought a used Netgear D6400 VDSL router and am having real problems getting it to connect to my Plusnet FTTC service.

First of all, the person I bought it from didn't bother resetting it so all their details were still present.  So a factory reset was the first port of call.  

Connected via ethernet, I then tried using the Nethear genie which allows me to select Plusnet service from the dropdown menu, then entered my credentials (which are 100% correct).  It will then take a minute or 2 of attempting to conncet before coming back with an error 'User name or password incorrect'.  I entered it in its full'username@plusdsl.net' format.  No luck.  Left it a few mins and still nothing.

So next I tried upgrading the firmware.  I noticed the installed firmware was quite outdated.  It was V1.0.0.29 (I think).  Upgraded it to the latest V1.0.0.60 and again the exact same problem.  It just refused to authenticate.  I then noticed that Wirless was disabled and REFEUSED to turn back on.  The wireless button on the side did nothing, and going in to the Advanced menu I noticed that it had default SSID 'Netgear73' and a WPA key of 'fluffychair460'.  The 'enable wireless radio' button was not ticket for 2 or 5 G networks and it was GREYED out.  I spent considerable time trying to get to the bottom of it but there was no way to enable the wireless radio.  None.

Next, I reverted to an older firmware V1.0.0.58.  Same problem with Wifi refusing to allow itself to be enabled.  Same for firmware V1.0.0.58.  I managed to get Wifi working again with firmware V1.0.0.34 as the option was no longer greyed out.  So finally I was able to connect via WiFi and sit down comfortably with my laptop whilst trying to get my FTTC service to connect.

Very strange that I have to use the old firmware just to be able to use Wifi.  It does work very well though as strong signal and no drops at all when I used it.  I'd be happy to stick with old firmware if it would only connect.

So back to trying to connect to FTTC service.  The device syncs to the DSL line no bother at all.  I get the following stats in my Netgear's connection status for the internet port:

Downstream: 48778 kbps
Upstream: 9599 kbps

Nothing wrong there.  It is clearly getting the DSL signal as the LED on the front suggests.  So my problem is purely with authentication.

I have tried every combination I can think of using the VDSL.  Here are the details that I think are correct.  THis is what I have currently:

Select Country: UK
Service provider: Pluset
DSL Mode: VDSL2
Transfer Mode: PTM
Multiplexing Method: LLC-BASED
VPI: 0
VCI: 38
VLAN ID: 101
Encapsulation: PPPoE
Login: username@plusdsl.net  (replaced username with my actual username)
Password: *******  (correct password)
Sercice name:  <blank>  (Also tried "Plusnet"
Connection Mode: Always On
IP & DNS: Auto  (I have a static IP and tried entering that too. Auto should work)

I'm pretty much on the verge of tears here!  Hours wasted on this.  Refused to authenticate.  My password 'might' have a special character in it.  Might be worth changing that to something simple in case the Netgear is having trouble transmitting it or something weird like that.

I could also try hooking up my Openreach modem and not use the VDSL connection protocol on the Netgear, but this somewhat defeats the purpose of me buying a VDSL router.

FYI I also reconnected by Plusnet Hub One to verify the credentials are working.  No problem at all.  I have a TP-Link Router which I used with the Openreach modem and it works no bother.

If anyone has any advice or had similar trouble  I would like to hear from them if possible!

Many thanks indeed Smiley
Tags (1)
7 REPLIES 7
mikelahey
Pro
Fixes: 12

Re: Netgear D6400 VDSL // REFUSES to connect to Plusnet service // HELP!

Have you set the VLAN ID to 101, it's also called 802.1q on some routers
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

spawnsworth

Hi,

Yeah sorry VLAN ID is 101 and 'username@plusdsl.net' isn't my real username Smiley   I have edited the original post to include this information.

Thanks!

Kirk

wisty
Pro
Fixes: 8

First thought is that the full factory reset has not taken properly.

I would have expected it to change the WiFi password to some default value or blank it - and I don't think fluffychair460 is a likely default! I would check the instructions for doing a full factory reset or what they call a 30/30/30 reset and try to do it again - possibly a couple of times.

spawnsworth

Good point about the 30/30/30 reset.  If I can get that to work then who knows.  I might even be able to use the latest firmware.  It can't be a good sign if you're having to use outdated firmware to get the thing to work properly.

Is there anyone out there that has a D6400 and if so were you able to connect to Plusnet (VDSL) with the Netgear genie?

Thanks!

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

Perhaps if you posted your Netgear "Internet Set Up" page, from admin settings, obliterating

anything confidential, someone could assist.

spawnsworth

Hey all,

I'm CONNECTED!

Well as it turns out it was indeed my password that was the problem.  The Netgear must have somehow not been able to transmit it during authentication.  Specifically it was a ; (semi colon) in my password that was the problem.  I used the same password without the ; then connected using the Network genie.  Straight in no bother at all!

Now I'm fully up and running albeit with slightly older firmware.  I don't mind as all appears to be well so as it is not broken then I shall not fix it!

***IF YOU HAVE A NETGEAR D6400 DO NOT USE A ";" IN YOUR PASSWORD***

This would have saved me about 3 hours messing around trying to get it to connect.  The fact it behaved a bit strangely when not fully resetting properly and unable to use newer firmware led me up the garden path, but it's fixed now and I'm happy with that!

Thanks all.  Lesson learned Smiley