Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

NAS drive connection from chromebook?

FIXED
jimriley
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

NAS drive connection from chromebook?

Hi. I'm using a chromebook and trying to connect to nas drive, samsung m3 1tb. I think I'm using the correct address and syntax, smb:\\Pnhub1\usb1  tried both with and without user and  pwd. However I get an error message saying Samba v2 is needed. Where is that held, in chromebook, router or nasdrive? Any thoughts welcome. I might try a usb stick to see if that makes any difference.

4 REPLIES 4
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

Re: NAS drive connection from chromebook?

Fix

MIcrosoft deprecated SMB (Samba) V1 some while ago. I'm not sure about this but I suspect that the Chromebook is using SMB V2 and will not allow connection to an SMB V1 share. This thread https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Plusnet-hub-one-usb-port/td-p/1343417 seem to imply that the Hub one will only support SMB V1

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jimriley
Dabbler

Thanks Mrw. I suspected it would be that, the error message says so, so I'll have to wait till the hub is upgraded, if ever.

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

@jimriley

I would buy a NAS drive (rather than use the USB drive with the Plusnet router).

Depending on requirements and budget, I've used both the WD MyCloud or the lower end of the Synology range successfully.

Of the two, I now think the Synology would be my recommendation and it's ability to make a simple USB printer work with iOS AirPrint is very neat.

I am the satisfied customer....
jimriley
Dabbler

I have both already. It's been stated on another thread that a chromebook needs samba v2, pnhub has v1 with no plans to upgrade, so it just won't work from the chromebook. grrr!