cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Router Is Driving Me Nuts

UlsterSam
Dabbler

My Router Is Driving Me Nuts

Can SOMEONE please help. I spoke to Tech Support on Monday regarding an issue that’s just started, in that my router will not accept the password on my iPhone and iPad.
If I disconnect the router, and restart it, everything for the next few hours is fine and wifi works.

Tech Support (that’s a laugh) told me on Monday, it’s my Apple products but they are both (iPhone 11Pro & iPad Air 3) are only a few weeks old and both were working fine up until the weekend.
I’ve only just joined PlusNet from EE and I’m regretting it already.
11 REPLIES 11
Mook
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 9

Re: My Router Is Driving Me Nuts

Welcome to the Forum @UlsterSam.

Could you provide a bit of clarity please. When you say the device will not accept the password what do you mean? Do you mean while trying to connect the devices to WiFi or once connected is it when navigating to the router using the device?

UlsterSam
Dabbler

Hello and thank you for replying.

Everything was working fine up until last weekend when, all of a sudden, the router decided that it didn’t like my iPad and my iPhone. When I’d use either device, I’d get a message saying “incorrect password” 

The only way I could get either device to connect was to unplug and restart the router, when it came back on, everything connects as it should for a few hours and then everything starts playing up again.

As I said, I’ve only just joined PlusNet and I’m regretting it, I’ve never had any problems with either Sky or EE so why should I be having problems with PlusNet?

The tech support guy I spoke to on Monday, said it’s my Apple products, I’m NOT convinced that BOTH new devices are having the same problem.

Any help would be gratefully received.

Thank you

Sam

Mook
Seasoned Champion

Thanks @UlsterSam, have a look at this:

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Hub-One-5GHz-WiFi-issue/m-p/1757086#M20694

And follow the instructions please. Ideally you'll also need to split the WiFi Channels, you'll find a guide on this site on how to do it for the Plusnet provided hub.

UlsterSam
Dabbler

I have just this minute, had to restart my router again, because as I was listing an item on eBay, the WiFi decided to stop and when I went to the WiFi setting on my iPad I input the WiFi password and it came back saying “incorrect password” this is now twice in as many hours that this has happened and I’m using the password that came with the new router being very careful to input the characters as they are written down. 

Im not stupid, but for the sake of my sanity, can someone please tell me what am I doing wrong?

UlsterSam
Dabbler

Hello @Mook @I think I understand the theory behind the post, I’ll give it a try but, if you hear words spoken with a strong Ulster accent that can’t be found in the Bible, or hear the sound of breaking glass, you’ll knowIve run into trouble and/or I’m not getting on too well.

I will however, endeavour to keep you posted.

Thaml you again.

Sam

UlsterSam
Dabbler

So, @Mook I input the settings from the thread you sent and it seems to have worked, I have had WiFi on my Apple devices all day yesterday, all night last night and, it’s still working this morning.

its painfully slow, I tried uploading some photos and a video to my iCloud account and it took a staggering 3hrs 51mins to upload 6 jpegs and a 249mb MOV file.

Thats NOT good and in my own opinion, NOT acceptable.

But on the bright side, the WiFi IS working so, @Mook THANK YOU so very much. I don’t understand why the gob[-Censored-]e that I spoke to on Monday couldn’t have explained this or, better still, held his hands up on behalf of PlusNet and say, “yes, there is a glitch in our router” and this is what you have to do as a work around. 

Mook
Seasoned Champion

Good to hear it's working for you @UlsterSam. There is evidently something wrong with your upload, what results do you get from the various speed test sites like fast.com, speedtest.net, etc?

These changes you've made should not have an adverse effect on your speed, if anything the opposite, so I suspect there is something else in the mix.

UlsterSam
Dabbler

Hello @Mook thank you once again for coming to my aid. I’ve attached a screen shot of a test I’ve just finished

its double Dutch to me but may you will know what it means.

I'm on PlusNet Fibre if that is any use to you

Sam

Mook
Seasoned Champion

To me it looks like you might have a fault but before you can report it you need to do a speed test on a wired device.

UlsterSam
Dabbler

OK.
If I message you @Mook after the Bank Holiday may be you’d be kind enough to walk me through it or direct me to another “How To” threads.
Mook
Seasoned Champion