Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple devices and impossibly slow Wi-Fi signal

FIXED
Navy8tor
Fixes: 1

Multiple devices and impossibly slow Wi-Fi signal

Have an infuriating issue with my Plusnet Hub. Switched to Plusnet after speaking to them about my then provider and poor signal on the router (it was a basic model) and explained what I needed. Normal house, not a mansion, multiple devices (Echos/xbox/iPhones/laptops). BB to the house is ok and relatively constant but as soon as the signal is split it is woeful. Not a signal strength problem as it happens right next to the router too (and I have an extender for my garage). It is impossible to stream at times and is constantly buffering. Spoke with Plusnet and had a really obnoxious guy on the helpdesk who said it was not their problem to fix as the supply to the house was fine! Would switch now but am trapped in the contract so it looks like my only option is to try another router as this one is clearly not doing what the Plusnet tin says it should! Any help/suggestions much appreciated.... Smiley
Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
davel8r
Grafter
Fixes: 3

Re: Multiple devices and impossibly slow Wi-Fi signal

@Navy8tor 

There are several options available depending on how confident you are with configuring routers. All are well documented on the forum but this may help guide you in the right search direction.

My solution was to use an unlocked HG612 Openreach modem (has to be model 3B) with an Asus AC86U router. We have about 30 devices connected at any one time with lots of streaming (Netflix/iPlayer/NowTV etc) in the evenings and a gaming mad son. Been up and running now for a couple of months without a blip.

A different solution that I put in to my brother's house was to replace the PN Hub with a BT HomeHub 6. Again - it works really well. The WiFi coverage is far better and persistent than the PN hub.

Another solution that I looked at was to continue using the PN hub, turn the WiFi off and connect one of the ethernet ports to a separate Wireless router. You can still use the PN hubs ethernet ports as well as any additional ports on the separate router - which is actually acting as a switch in this config as the PN hub is still doing the routing.

All these solutions bypass the inadequate WiFi performance of the PN hub. The 1st solution also gives you access to lots of line stats - if that's your thing 🙂

Good luck

Navy8tor

Grafter, VMT for your help and advice. I have ordered a BT Homehub to see if that works (it was a solution I had come across before posting) so will give that a go.  It is a pretty poor reflection on Plusnet that they walk away from their own hardware limitations and annoying to have to fund the solution (hopefully!) myself but it just needs to be sorted.  Lockdown and the additional working from home means it can't be left.  Will post an answer once the hub is here and installed Smiley

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@Navy8tor Welcome to the forum. 🙂

Just a little info for future posts: your respondent's username is davel8r - 'Grafter' is a forum 'rank'.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Navy8tor

Whoops! Good spot....thanks 

😂

198kHz
Seasoned Hero

Nae bother - I'm sometimes mistakenly addressed as 'Hero'.

Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)
Navy8tor

Fix

Good advice, I got hold of the BT Hub 6 and reconfigured it.  As if by magic, all problems gone.  

Thanks Plusnet for a pants Hub and avoiding fixing it by pushing it back to the customer who forks out £50+ to solve your unfit kit.

198kHz
Seasoned Hero

Confucius he say - beware naff kit from budget ISP.  chinscratch.gif

Murphy was an optimist
BT technician (Retired)
kerryadutch

Glad you got yours sorted, I’m in the same position and tried today to connect to a bt home hub 2. Could not get it going at all so would appreciate a step by step instruction on how you did yours as I am a complete technophobe. I also have bought a home hub 6 on e bay as a back up.