cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multiple attempts to access router

WhatsWrongNow
Grafter

Re: Multiple attempts to access router

@markhawkin I’m assuming you’re saying that they are chromecast messages. As I don’t have chromecast does that also explain why I have lots of multicast broadcast messsges? Are they looking for a destination
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

@WhatsWrongNow certainly it sounds like "something" is trying to work out what is on your network (or strictly discover what services are available). The user agent suggested Chromecast but it was a guess.

Messages from "outside" your network will just be attempts to discover and exploit anything you have exposed to the Internet.

Anything inside should hopefully originate from devices you own.

I am the satisfied customer....
WhatsWrongNow
Grafter

Can I just recap where I think we are please?
I’m getting 100s of attempts to remote into my router everyday
These do not stop when my IP address changes
I have uPnP disabled and yet messages continue to go both ways on SSDP and UDP and my router is multicast broadcasting
A user agent that suggests a device / protocol we don’t have / use
I don’t think there is a deliberate effort to connect but surely there is a chance of some user overlap from neighbouring network
WhatsWrongNow
Grafter

Hoping someone has had some thoughts on this? I notice all the attempts are listed on PPP3, that’s a cellular interface isn’t it?
Really would appreciate any leads however small in the context of my PC log constantly logging events that originated from unknown source and Microsoft constantly challenging my account and asking for verification you may get an idea of what I’m battling with
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

PPP3 is the 'PPPoE 3' interface of the Hub One i.e. the WAN interface used to connect you to the Internet. It has nothing to do with cellular.

I'm afraid I've nothing to offer above what I've already posted Undecided 

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵