Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem recommendation

FIXED
greybeard99
Fixes: 1

Modem recommendation

Hi all,

(I have seen this topic talked about before but I still think I need additional info)

Current set up: Huawei HG 612 3B Modem / ASUS RT-AT56U Router / Supply: FTTC

I am changing to a Ubiquiti Dream Machine and can part set it up via DM being wired into the router but I can't then get it to work as a standalone in place of the router, wired into the modem. (I did change the setting to PPPoE mode). Don't really want the clutter of having 3 boxes instead of 2 and think there should be a configuration change I'm missing

Advice has been given that the modem should be in bridge mode. I am not techy enough to completely understand this term and indeed how to check whether that's what I've got. Unlike being able to get into the routers settings (168.192.1.0 -ish), I am not aware of how to get into the modem's settings.

Questions:

Should the 612 be able to cope with proposed set up, if so what do I need to do/check?

Is bridge mode the default for the 612 or would this need to be changed - if so how?

Have seen comments about modem being unlocked - again above my pay grade, if I need to do this, can process be explained or a link sent?

Another suggestion made is to get new modem (DrayTek V130?) and would consider this if advice is it's preferable/better than 612

Many thanks in advance of any suggestions

3 REPLIES 3
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Modem recommendation

@greybeard99  Welcome to the forum.

The HG 612 BT version default mode is as a bridge modem. Unlocking instructions are here: https://kitz.co.uk/routers/hg612unlock.htm

Plusnet router setting are here:  https://www.plus.net/help/broadband/broadband-connection-settings/

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I am changing to a Ubiquiti Dream Machine and can part set it up via DM being wired into the router but I can't then get it to work as a standalone in place of the router, wired into the modem.

@greybeard99 it should be purely a matter of replicating the PPPoE settings from the Asus router to the UDM. The HG612 must already be operating in bridge mode ( the default as @Baldrick1 says ) if the Asus is making the PPPoE connection

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

greybeard99
Fixes: 1

Fix

Thanks for help - felt more confident to try again and looks like I didn't use all of the correct PPPoE settings. Seemingly all working okay now,

Again, thanks for taking trouble to  respond