Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem recommendation for Plusnet ADSL

rob_frobisher
Hooked

Modem recommendation for Plusnet ADSL

Hi all,

I am looking for some recommendations as to what modem to get for my ADSL Plusnet connection. I am on an exchange only line (so no FFTC sadly) seemingly connecting to an ECI cabinet (showing as Infineon(Lantiq) in the router). I have been having a lot of trouble with dropped connections recently and after a visit from an Openreach engineer (who swapped me onto a different line) I have decided to upgrade my kit a bit.

I stupidly rushed and purchased an ASUS DSL-AC68U without reading all the issues with it's apparently poor mediatek based modem. Since having it connected, my upload speed (which had been reduced to a third of it's previous speed) has not improved and I am stuck using an Interleaved path. Do you think it is possible my 68U is causing issues with my line?

I was thinking of returning it and replacing it with a Draytek 130 and an ASUS RT-AC86U - would this be a sensible modem to use with my line?

3 REPLIES 3
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Modem recommendation for Plusnet ADSL

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
pint
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

A lot of people on here use the BT home hub 6,  and ther eare guides to configuring it on this forum for plusnet service.

I used to use a billion 8800nl R2, however ive recently replaced with with a TP link archer VR2800 due to poor wifi on the billion unit.

out of interest whats your performance on the exchange only line? from my ( limited) understanding some of these EO lines are being connected to cabinets for FTTC

rob_frobisher
Hooked

Hi - thanks very much for your response. I ended up going for the Draytek 130.

The performance I have always had on my exchange only line has been ok for ADSL - about 16Mbps down and 1ish up. Although with the recent issues I have been having this upload is down in the 0.2 - 0.3 range.

A group of people from my street have been in contact with open-reach about FTTC but there are no plans for our street in the immediate future.