Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem or bridged router recommendations with Deco M5 Mesh

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Modem or bridged router recommendations with Deco M5 Mesh

Hi,

looking at ways to further improve my wifi. Decided to go down the mesh route and the triple Deco M5 system seems to fit the bill.

I am currently using a new hub one as I am having connection problems yet again and am trying to rule out if my HH6 has got flaky. The Hub 1 is causing much earache from kids whose bedrooms receive a poor signal!

I know the Hub 1 can't be bridged so would have to use the M5's in AP mode and lose a little functionality. I will do this whilst still checking whether it is a line or HH6 fault causing my problems but eventually I would prefer to use the M5's in router mode though so am looking for ideas for a modem or bridgeable router; the main concern being reliability of connection.

Have been looking at Draytek Vigor 130 but would prefer to have a USB port to power a nearby Hive hub. So also looking at Billion 8800 and TP-Link VR600.

Anyone able to advise and have any experience with these combinations?

Thanks.

PT

5 REPLIES 5
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Modem or bridged router recommendations with Deco M5 Mesh

If you just need a bridgeable router then the TP link 9970 has a good modem. It looks awful but its modem performance is good and its cheap. Alternatively try an HG612 BT modem from ebay

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Thanks. Yes, that TP link is pig ugly hence me looking at the VR600. Not sure if it has the same modem though. Will root around and try to check if you recommend that modem.

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Hi @MisterW 

decided to go with the W9970 to get a decent modem. Can conceal it if its in modem only mode.

Is it pretty straightforward to connect as bridge to PN and then use a mesh system such as Deco M5 in router  mode to connect to Internet?

Thanks

PT

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

@PhyllisTyne its a doddle   instructions to put the 9970 in bridge mode here https://www.tp-link.com/uk/support/faq/1332/

Then just configure PPPoE on the Deco with your plusnet username/password

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

PhyllisTyne
Aspiring Pro

Cheers, much appreciated