Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem mode, BT ONT and Mikrotik

FIXED
Appealing8195

Modem mode, BT ONT and Mikrotik

Hi there,

I would like to replace the Hub2 with a Mikrotik router, however rather than placing the Hub2 into modem mode and then connect that to the Mikrotik I would like to bypass it and connect directly to the RJ45 on the ONT modem placed by OpenReach inside my house.

https://www.bt.com/help/broadband/whats-an-openreach-modem-ont

Is that even possible? If the hub2 uses a PPPoE auth with the plusnet credentials and the same it's done on any third party router, I don't see why I need the Hub2 in modem mode, it does modulate / demodulate anything like you would with an NTU.

Any ideas?

Thanks

P

2 REPLIES 2
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 396

Re: Modem mode, BT ONT and Mikrotik

Fix

Is that even possible? If the hub2 uses a PPPoE auth with the plusnet credentials and the same it's done on any third party router, I don't see why I need the Hub2 in modem mode, it does modulate / demodulate anything like you would with an NTU.

Correct, you can use any router direct to the ONT providing it's configured for PPPoE with your Plusnet credentials.

In fact the hub 2 modem mode will not work between a router and an ONT. Modem mode will only work to convert ethernet to VDSL.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Appealing8195

Re: Modem mode, BT ONT and Mikrotik

Awesome thanks, all setup and rocking up!