cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Modem / Router Buzzing

Tempting
Grafter

Modem / Router Buzzing

Over the past few weeks my fibre modem / router (supplied by Plusnet) has started buzzing, it doesn't buzz all the time but has periods when it buzzes. The sound could also be a faint electrical arcing from time to time.

The router is not getting any hotter than usual and whilst the WiFi isn't the best, it's coverage and reliability hasn't changed.

Is this a sign of impending doom for my modem / router and if so how do I go about getting a replacement before it fails completely?

Thank you for any help.

Tags (3)
4 REPLIES 4
RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Re: Modem / Router Buzzing

@Tempting  It is a known feature of the Hub1 and has been declared by Plusnet to be within acceptable sound levels (whatever they might be.🤔). They might send you a replacement but it could be better or worse, nobody knows. it tends to happen when the 5GHz wifi is being used and is not an electrical problem, just a noise. I would get a better modem/router. the BT HH6 is a popular choice for Plusnet users.

Tempting
Grafter

Many thanks for your reply and I do agree it's not 'that' noisy but I was more concerned that I'd be fubar'd if it suddenly failed.

I am using the 5GHz WiFi for a few devices around our house so I don't want to turn it off (and I shouldn't have to). I've recently acquired an Asus RT-AX56U so may set this up as the WiFi router and just keep the Plusnet modem / router as a modem, If it is the 5GHz WiFi that is causing the issue this should resolve it.

Thanks once again for your help.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@Tempting 

You can't configure a Plusnet Hub One as a bridge modem. The WAN socket is an input only. To avoid double NATing if you use both you need to switch off DHCP on either the Hub One or the ASUS and set the ASUS up in Access Point rather than Router mode.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Tempting
Grafter

Thanks for that info. I'll see what I can do later in the day.