cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile phone can't connect to my router

FIXED
kaydon69

Mobile phone can't connect to my router

Hi, I'm having problems with my Samsung s7 connecting to my Plusnet hub one router, it has been connecting but now its saying "Authentication error occurred", all my other devices including another Samsung s7 phone are still connecting. Any suggestions to solve this please. 

11 REPLIES 11
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: Mobile phone can't connect to my router

Welcome to the forums @kaydon69 . I'm no Android (or mobile phone expert), but having done a quick check, this seems to be a common error with Samsung phones, although the links I saw generally referred to the S8 rather than the S7, and the solution I'm going to suggest may not work, but is the easiest.

Try rebooting the offending one when you are at home - completely turn it off, wait a couple of minutes and turn it back on.

What version of operating system is it running?

John
jab1
Legend

Fix

Did it work?

John
kaydon69

I had already tried turning it off and on with no success, but i tried again and left it off a bit longer as you suggested rather than turning it straight back on and so far it seems to have done the trick thanks,
kaydon69

Scrap that, it did work but has now gone back to the error message
jab1
Legend

@kaydon69 I suspect it is because you have two S7 phones, and they are both trying to use the same IP address - which just doesn't work. they have to be unique.

I haven't got much chance of searching for a solution today, but I'll try and have a think sometime tomorrow.

In the meantime, if you have a few spare moments, try Googling that error - you may find something yourself. If all else fails and I can't help you solve it, I'll have to ask someone with more knowledge if they have any ideas.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 392

suspect it is because you have two S7 phones, and they are both trying to use the same IP address - which just doesn't work. they have to be unique.

Sorry @jab1 There's no way that should happen. Even though they are the same make and model , every network device, wired or wireless , has a unique mac address. That mac address is used by the dhcp server in the router  when assigning ip addresses. Hence no two devices will be assigned the same ip

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

@MisterW I agree, but a cursory search mentioned that possibility, albeit for the S8 rather than S7, and I offered it as a possible easy solution for the OP - although it didn't solve the problem, obviously.

Any suggestions, because I'm no expert on this type of problem, especially where Android is concerned - I'm an Apple user.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

The only time I've seen anything close to that, was with a pair of cheap bluetooth dongles. Like network  devices, they're meant to have unique I'd 's. In this case they were cheap chinese clones and had the same Id.

I cant imagine that could possibly be the case with a genuine samsung phone...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jab1
Legend

@MisterW TBH, neither can I, but it does sound like something similar is happening for the OP. Off the top of my head, I can't think of an easy way for them to check.

John
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

Has one of the phones been updated recently and the other not ?

They're Android phones aren't they , has clearing the cache been tried ? That's always worth a try with Android, doesnt lose any data or configuration.

jab1
Legend

We need @kaydon69 to reply to us - hopefully they'll be back at some point, having read the replies.

John