cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mobile Broadband 4G

lynxthecat
Dabbler

Mobile Broadband 4G

@Baldrick1 helped me obtain the excellent BT Business Smarthub 6 router, which has worked like a trojan ever since I set it up. 

However, we are now relocating to a remote location outside Nairn, in Scotland. There is no fibre connection, and the download rate on normal broadband is estimates at 1.5Mbps, which is obviously very poor.

However, I gather the present owners of the house have enjoyed 30Mbps using 4G broadband.

So 4G mobile broadband seems the way to go, at least until fibre is rolled out to our area.

Can anyone recommend a 4G router for use with something like Three's unlimited sim-only plan (circa £16/month)?

Also would there be any sense in having such a 4G router hooked up the Smarthub 6 (for its good wi-fi performance) if that is possible?

2 REPLIES 2
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Mobile Broadband 4G

@lynxthecat 

For emergencies I keep a Huawei E5577 MiFi unit. This is unlocked and works well. If required you can connect external aerials to it. It is battery powered but you can also power it from the USB port. This can also be used to connect it to a Wireless Access Point. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Huawei-Low-Cost-Super-Fast-Portable-Warranty/dp/B011YM0OXU/ref=asc_df_B011Y...

You could try configuring the Smarthub as a WAP, you will find instructions on the BT forum, but to be honest I found when playing that whilst it works as a switch I found the wireless performance to be a bit flaky.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Mobile Broadband 4G

Baldrick1 is correct the Huawei E5577  is very good a friend at the caravan site has one and the signal is quite strong

If you are going to use it as your only form of the internet a Huawei B535-235 CPE LTE is a good choice but more expensive 

eBay item number: 184330950600

HD