cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mesh Wifi / Amazon Eero

Mesh Wifi / Amazon Eero

Hi all,

Amazon have a very good price on their Eero wifi at the moment. Is there a good guide to getting this setup with a standard PlusNet Fibre Broadband Router, or is it more hassle than it's worth?

8 REPLIES 8
Fixes: 1,113

Re: Mesh Wifi / Amazon Eero

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'

Being primarily aimed at the US market Eero's don't have a built in modem so to get the full function and best from it you'd need a new modem too as the PN modem / router can't be put into bridge mode.
Customer / Moderator
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 149

@dvorak  I'm not sure even a modem will help. From what I can find the Eero doesn't support PPPoE https://support.eero.com/hc/en-us/articles/207852843-Does-eero-support-PPPoE- so it's not going to work with a modem here. Seems like the only ways to use it over here are are in it's DHCP normal mode and accept a Double NAT scenario, or switch it to Bridge mode with the reduction in facilities.

This https://talk.macpowerusers.com/t/eero-pro-disappointment-in-the-uk/14826/27 is worth a read through

So the main Eero unit becomes the second router in a double NAT setup? Is that necessarily a bad thing? Just turn off the wifi on the PlusNet router and it works? Or are there issues I should be aware of?

Fundamentally I want good strong wifi throughout the house.

Might be easier to look at something like BT whole home which doesn't replace the modem / router, just the wifi.
Customer / Moderator
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 149

@peterould  Double NAT can be a problem in 2 areas (at least)

If you have servers/printers/NAS devices etc connected to the main router, then discovering/accessing those from the Mesh wifi is troublesome . See here for an example https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/WD-MyCloud-not-recognised/m-p/1768048

Also if you need any Port Forwarding rules for external access of say CCTV cameras then again it's tricky.

Since I don't have anything on the current network that is accessed external from the network, I'm not sure it will be so much a problem. We have wifi enabled printer which we connect to via wifi, so I guess we just repoint that to the new Mesh network? No other need for open ports etc.

Starting to think it might not be so much an issue.

Thanks - yes, and looks cheaper than the Amazon solution

Will this produce better Wifi than a repeater connecting wirelessly to the current Plusnet Hub?