Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mesh Router

peejay-b
Hooked

Mesh Router

Hi

I’m out of my depth when it comes to networking so I apologise for my naivety and hope someone could give me some guidance.

I have a Plusnet Hub One running from fibre cable up to the provider’s cabinet.  My problem is twofold; firstly I suffer from regular dropouts having to reboot the Hub One to re-connect and secondly the wifi signal doesn’t reach to all rooms around the house.

I have tried using BT mains plug-in hotspots which do provide an improvement but I live in quite a large and very old cottage with thick walls.  On top of which the house is in fact two houses combined into one, each with their own meter and ring mains supply, making it difficult I guess for the hotspots to communicate with the router over the mains.

I’ve been thinking about mesh networking as a solution since it seems this would give me wifi coverage throughout the house and use a common SSID, unlike the BT hotspots.

From what I understand mesh routers do not come with a built in modem so my questions are; would I need to buy a new modem or can the mesh router connect to the Plusnet One Hub and use its internal modem?  In the latter case would there be a conflict with the Plusnet One Hub router?  Also would upgrading my router in this way go any way to resolving the regular dropouts?

Mesh routers are not cheap so before I go down this route do other more knowledgeable people think this solution would work and are there any pitfalls to look out for?

Thanks

8 REPLIES 8
Mav
Fixes: 515

Re: Mesh Router

Moderator's note:

A duplicate post was released from the Spam Filter and removed.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Yes, you would need a VDSL modem operating in 'bridge' mode, with products such as Google Wifi.

eg. Openreach Huawei HG612 or ECI modem off eBay, or a VDSL router which supports bridge mode, such as TPlink TD-W9970 might work.

This thread showed how to connect Google wifi using PPPoE to an old Plusnet TG582n ADSL router configured as a 'bridge' modem. 

https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Google-Wifi/m-p/1430199/highlight/true#M2998

I believe BT whole home wifi system may work with any existing router, because the BT WH wifi is Not a 'router' unlike other mesh products.  If I'm wrong, someone will no doubt correct me.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
DaveyH
Champion
Fixes: 12

@bill888 wrote:

I believe BT whole home wifi system may work with any existing router, because the BT WH wifi is Not a 'router' unlike other mesh products.  If I'm wrong, someone will no doubt correct me.

Indeed. They're access points and designed to be connected to existing setups
peejay-b
Hooked

Hi Bill888

Thank you for your advice.  I assume it is not possible to configure the Plusnet One Hub as a bridge modem.

As you suggested I am leaning towards the ECI modem off eBay.  Forgive me if I'm wrong but is this not a dedicated modem and as such does not require a 'bridge'?  If I've got my wires crossed (excuse the pun) would it be straightforward for a novice like me to configure the ECI as a 'Bridge' modem?

Once again thank you for your help.

peejay-b
Hooked

Hi DaveyH

Thanks.  I'm am toying between BT Whole Home and Google wifi mesh networking.  Any recommendations?

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Yes, both the Openreach modems are dedicated 'bridge' modems.  The Hub One does not support Bridge mode.

The key differences between Huawei and ECI modems, is the Huawei HG612 fully supports G.INP if your broadband line is connected to a Huawei FTTC street cabinet.  The HG612 can also be unlocked too.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
peejay-b
Hooked

Thanks. .

I’m not too sure whether my DSL has G.INP enabled but perhaps I should go for the Huawei HG612 anyway.  At least that would also future proof my system should BT roll out G.INP in my area.  I note that I can buy the HG612 unlocked on eBay which is handy.

rolya
Grafter

In case this helps anyone

i have open reach modem and a Plusnet Wi-Fi router.

i have disabled Wi-Fi on Plusnet router

i have setup a BT whole home Wi-Fi (3 discs) and I now have brilliant Wi-Fi cover throughout the house. I stopped using Powerlines as mobile devices constantly hung onto weak signals as you moved around the house. 

1 snag, BT Wholehome Wi-Fi does not support multi casting which is needed for IPTV (Plusnet use this for BT sport and other premium channels).

To fix I have put an managed network port extender (netgear gs105) setup with 2 VLAN configured.  1 for YouView box with multicast enabled and 1 for all other networks including the BT wholehome Wi-Fi with multicasting disabled. Had to adjust the QOS VLAN for Plusnet to give priority on VLAN 1, but I now have IPTV and perfect Wi-Fi cover at home