cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Match modem and hence router to line speed

briston
Aspiring Pro

Match modem and hence router to line speed

Looking to purchase a new new modem router and looking at various specifications. I will keep things simple.

Looking at the specification of the WiFi side of a modem/router gives the 2.4GHz channel as 300Mbs. So I understand that say if 10 devices are connected they could only get 30Mbs each.

However, if I have understood my present incoming connection I have about 52Mbs. Is 300Mbs not a deciding factor? Another router stateing the 2,4GHz channel had a maximum of 600Mbs will be no better.

I thought the maximum fibre speed plusnet supplies is 80/20 is that 80Mbs download? Why do I even need a router whose 2.4GHz channel is 300Mbs as the maximum it can get in is 80Mbs in theory let alone practice.

There is something I do not understand.
4 REPLIES 4
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

Re: Match modem and hence router to line speed

@briston 

You are over analysing this. These speeds are not real in terms of what you can actually achieve. Also multiple devices do not share out available bandwidth in equal proportions.

My advice is to go for a router that supports the 802.11ac protocol and you will be fine 

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

briston
Aspiring Pro

@Baldrick1 Thanks for that. I realise that speeds a not real and did say I was simplifying things.

I know I don't get 80Mbs and I know that the devices may not share equally.

But if you take a theoretical maximum, any router capable of delivering over 80Mbs is overkill.

I do understand the ac part of the protocol but still don't see why any manufacturer want to price a router with a capability of 600Mbs on the 2.4Ghz band.

As for over thinking, please excuse that. Because of my previous employment I had to overthink and over specify as the end result was mission critical.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 418

@briston wrote
But if you take a theoretical maximum, any router capable of delivering over 80Mbs is overkill.
I do understand the ac part of the protocol but still don't see why any manufacturer want to price a router with a capability of 600Mbs on the 2.4Ghz band.

What you need to realise is that routers are designed for more than accessing the Internet, for example transferring data on your local network, especially if you use a NAS drive.

600 Mbps on 2.4 GHz is historical before the 5GHz band came into general use.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

briston
Aspiring Pro

@Balbrick1 Right, now I get about NAS drives etc.

I am thinking of purchasing a modem/router which has the ability to form a mesh by the use of appropriate additional kit. Needless to say it is to replace the hub1.