Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MXV itpv box not connecting

FIXED
iz
Hooked
Fixes: 1

MXV itpv box not connecting

Help please.  Just moved to plus net and set everything up just fine.  Speed is good, phone and tablet connect no problem but the android tv box just keeps saying it is connecting but does nothing.  I am doing it on wifi.

Phoned and chatted regarding this problem but no help given as they just said it is the tv box and get hold of the manufacturer but I know it is not the box as it worked just fine yesterday.  On BT I had to adjust a setting in the hub in order for it to not block the signal (Smart Setup) so do I have to do the same thing here and if so how do I do it.

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
HairyMcbiker
All Star
Fixes: 21

Re: MXV itpv box not connecting

What did you have to change? You can use your BT router on PN as well, just change the user to <userid>@plusdsl.net and put in your password.
iz
Hooked

I needed to change the smart setup on the BT hub in order for it to allow the android box to work.

HairyMcbiker
All Star

Well as I said change you user name and password on your BT router to your PN username/password (make sure to include the @plusdsl.net in the user name), they you can continue using it.
iz
Hooked

not sure how to do this but will see what I can find

HairyMcbiker
All Star

Plug in the bt router, go to the setup page, enter the username@plusdsl.net and the password, replacing your BT credentials. That's it.
Details of the SYSTEM user/password will be on a card, this is different from your net password.
iz
Hooked

Having fun trying to change the BT router as it does not seem to want to change.  Only thing I can put in is the password which of course is the wrong one.  Tried factory resetting it but it seems to just ignore it.

Tried the android box on ethernet and no problem, straight in, so its definitely the router which won't let it connect over WIFI  but the technicians don't want to know.

I'll keep trying with the old BT router but at least I have a plan B

HairyMcbiker
All Star

Is there a drop down box on the username bit, been a while since I used any BT routers.
iz
Hooked

Fix

Well as you know I tried the computer changing the BT router and failed.  So I decided to try to connected the android TV box to the Plusnet router direct using the ethernet cable and see if the box had indeed acquired a fault.  The box worked just fine using the direct cable but as my router and the tv box about 12 meters apart I wondered if there was a way other than cable along the wall. A friend had a TP Link thingy (yes I'm very in to the technical terms !)  with two plugs that had ethernet ports in them, one you plug near the router and it goes direct into your router and the other goes into a plug socket near your TV box and the ethernet cable goes into your device. I set it all up and went to the settings on the tv box to connect via Ethernet but noticed that, as if by magic, it would now connected on either WIFI or ethernet connection.

I can only presume that the ethernet connection altered the router somehow and it now allows the box to connect over WIFI.  

RESULT.  Hope this helps others with the same problem.  

Thanks for all the advice given by others on this site.

HairyMcbiker
All Star

Ahh well at least it is working now. Strange, it wasn't before. Maybe just needed the wifi switched off/on.
iz
Hooked

I think it needed the direct link to the box in order for it to be accepted on WiFi.  Who knows but at least it is working.  I'm a happy bunny