cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MTU size problems when switching router from fibre to DSL

petecook

MTU size problems when switching router from fibre to DSL

After our recent move, we've gone from fibre to DSL but I received no starter pack and no new router, so I've switched our existing plusnet fibre router (2704n) over to DSL mode. This works but the MTU size is causing major packet loss for devices that cannot manually change the MTU size. I can change it on laptops (from 1500 to 1458..) and things work correctly but this is not possible on iOS phones and some other devices. I also cannot see where to change the MTU size on the router anywhere in the advanced settings.

Basically it seems like I need a new DSL router from Plusnet that is compatible with my DSL connection, or I need to somehow change the MTU size setting on my 2704n router. Any thoughts?

5 REPLIES 5
LennyNero
Hooked

Re: MTU size problems when switching router from fibre to DSL

I dont think you need to change the MTU size (if that MTU is max transmission unit). 1500 is pretty much a standard most stick to now-a-days ...not getting into the ethernet vs pppoe and other things, overhead and the like. You dont seem to say what the problem is, what is it doing, or not ?
ejs
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 25

There is/was a firmware bug with the 2704n when it is switched to ADSL mode. I think there was a remote fix that Plusnet did individually for the affected people, I'm not sure it's possible to fix it yourself.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

This is a known issue.

Solutions include:

1. We can push the MTU manually from here (not persistent so won't survive a factory reset)
  2. Firmware update. The issue was specific to older firmware revisions, so a remote firmware update might help (and it would be persistent)
  3. We send a unit that has the ADSL firmware installed

I don't have access to the ACS at the moment, so the quicker option is probably 3. If I despatch a device to the address associated with your account would that suit?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

petecook

@bobpullen That would be great.

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Sorted. Should turn up in a day or two Smiley