cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low WiFi speed and poor range with fibre broadband

CharlyT

Low WiFi speed and poor range with fibre broadband

Hello,

Can anyone help answer some queries for me please...?

I have had fibre broadband with a regular PlusNet router for a year now. I should be getting 60+ mbps.

Currently I am next to my router and using the fast.com website and I am only getting speeds of 12mbps on iPhone and tablet.

When I turn my WiFi off, using 4g i get about 50mbps. Shouldn't I be getting a better speed on WiFi? I do get a better speed of 50mbps when using cable to my laptop so the issue is only with the WiFi. Although I have never got the minimum 60+ quoted speeds.

I am the only person in my household so no one else is using the WiFi. Its 10am so probably not a peak time.

My second query is the range from the router is so poor. It drops dramatically if I move away about 3 metres from the router. I moved where my router is plugged in from the master socket, which is located at one end of my flat, to a socket in the middle of my flat to increase the range throughout my flat, which is better as the speed has not altered but the range is better than before due to the Central placement. 

Is it worth me buying a better router to help with this issue?

Should I try another ISP? Before PlusNet I was with TalkTalk and could still use the WiFi out on the pavement outside my flat! And do I have a case for cancelling my contract without charge as I have never quite had the minimum speed?

Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Low WiFi speed and poor range with fibre broadband

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from Fibre to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
dvorak

You could try splitting the 2.4 and 5GHz wifi bands, it helps with Apple products.

Navigate in a web browser to 192.168.1.254.

Click Advanced Settings

Enter your Hub admin password when prompted (unless you've changed it, you'll find the default password on the settings card)
Continue to Advanced Settings.
Click on Wireless.
Click 5GHz tab.
Change 'Sync with 2.4Ghz' to No.
Change the name of the 'Wireless SSID' - I added a '_5' on the end.
Save the changes.

You can then select which one you want per device.

Customer / Moderator
CharlyT

Thanks for your reply.

Have tried that and still getting the same 12mbps speed.

Do many people buy better routers to help with the WiFi speeds? Will this make much of a difference?

Has anyone else experienced a drop in speeds since the COVID-19/self isolation rules came in? Whilst I've never had a great speed on Wifi, it does seem worse at the moment.

dvorak

Quite a few pick up BT smart hubs on eBay fairly cheaply as a better router than the hub one.

Impact of more people being at home could be a factor, hard to say though as likely to be localised
Customer / Moderator
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Did you perform the speed test with more than one wifi device and on 5 GHz wifi too?

Wifi speed tests should be 'upto' whatever speed test you see with laptop wired direct to Hub One.

eg. on 5 GHz, I'd expect close to 50 mbps, and on 2.4 GHz, perhaps 30 mbps in same room as hub, if your wired ethernet speed is 50 mbps.

If you live in a high density apartment block, wifi interference from neighbours may be contributing to the problem.

I would double check your wired speed because  your original post mentioned 50 mbps on 4G.

Other possibility is your Hub One has a bizarre wifi speed fault.

fwiw, two of my relatives moved their Hub One's to other side of their living rooms so it was more centrally located, to improve wifi coverage to all rooms in flat and a 3 storey townhouse (sitting room on middle floor) respectively.  Wifi signal has less distance to travel.   I have a modified Hub One (Openwrt with wifi turned off) at front of house but it is wired to a wireless access point located in centre of house connected by ethernet cable for many years - previously I had spotty wifi in certain rooms.

When hub is at front of a property, half the wifi signal is being wasted and broadcast into the street outside.  The hub also has to deal with stronger wifi interference from neighbours coming in from the street imho.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
Bogbody
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

CharlyT ... siting the router can be critical.
I've already told the tale of hidden routers (back of alcoves, behind TV) - try it in a more central location and test the signal strengh with one of the many wifi signal apps that are available.