cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Low Speed/ droppage and poor Wifi range

britepublicity

Low Speed/ droppage and poor Wifi range

Hello,
We have a PN Hub 1 router, the Internet speeds seem ridiculously low 5mbps download and 0.72 upload. I have tested this on both computers (one wifi, one ethernet cable) and my Android phone and all come up with similar numbers (screenshots attached) it also seems to drop out completely for a few hours and I can't get anything to work on any device. There's no specific time this keeps happening, Could be sometimes in the morning, sometimes at night. Apart from the TV we turn off every appliance at night, there are no appliances that are on a timer etc and our nearest neighbours are a mile away so should have no interference from them. I have tried almost everything to fix at home, I generally have to reset it about 4/5 times over several hours for it to start working when it drops out.
An engineer did come out a few months back and put in a new phone line socket so we can have the router in our study if this is relevant at all.
Also, the range were we can get the wifi has dramatically dropped, the previous router we could connect to WIFI from 4 rooms away, now we are lucky if we get it in the next room. We practically have to sit besides it for the wifi signal to reach. The only change has been the router. Same phone line, still with plus net for 6 years, same phone and computer for at least 4 years. I tried several different phone line sockets in the house and its the same thing on each socket.
(Also, where can I attach the pictures? All I see is - file attachments lists info, no where to upload files)
Thank you, G

Moderator's note by Dick (Strat): Post released from Spam Filter.

2 REPLIES 2
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Low Speed/ droppage and poor Wifi range

Thanks for your post @britepublicity 

I'm sorry to see you're experiencing connection problems. I've been trying to find your account by the usual means of searching your details from your forum profile in our accounts system but I've been unable to find one.

Could you PM us your account username so I can take a look into this for you please?

With regards to attaching an image to a post you'd use the Insert Photos button (Looks a bit like a mountain)

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Re: Low Speed/ droppage and poor Wifi range

Thanks for the private messages @britepublicity 

Our tests aren't showing any issues with the line but I can see your connection is dropping and speeds running slow as a result. If you've not already can you try plugging your router into the test socket as explained Here? If your connection continues to drop and speeds slow, could you report a fault to us at Here so we can arrange a broadband engineer?

With regards to the range of the wireless signal with the new router, it's possible the wireless channel/frequency is different. Can you try changing the channel by following the steps Here? It may also be worth trying the steps in this post. If you have any issues carrying these changes out, with your permission I'd be happy to do this on your behalf.

Let us know how you get on Smiley

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet