Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Loss of connection to websites or services

Marvo
Dabbler
Fixes: 1

Loss of connection to websites or services

Around 4:30 this afternoon I lost connection to websites or emails. Checked the router (Draytek 2720) and WAN was connected ok and my work pc on vpn was ok too.

I restarted the router and made the connection ok but was still having issues. Thought it was the DNS so reverted to .9 & .10 Plusnet servers from Quad9 IPs.

Nothing appears to have worked. I reset the router back to factory defaults then set the router from scratch again. I can get access from my iPad or pc to some websites but not others. 

I’m using my mobile hotspot to send this so looks to be something in the DSL network... anyone have any thoughts or ideas?

thanks

5 REPLIES 5
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Loss of connection to websites or services

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Marvo
Dabbler

I've swapped my Draytek back to the PN Hub and whilst I am getting some connection improvement. It's still not 100%.

bbc.co.uk opens partially. Halfords.com times out.

I've replaced the microfilter and connected that to the master socket.

Fortunately, I've managed to VPN into work. We'll have to wait and see what MS Teams meetings will be like.

Marvo
Dabbler

Contacted PN support yesterday and went through the various scenarios that needed to be repeated again.

In the end I had my Hub 1 connected directly to the Master Socket with a brand new filter.

The support person on the end of the phone did a few checks and couldn't really see any errors (although did see the various reboots of the routers the day before when I first started getting issues). I still couldn't ping 9.9.9.9 or 8.8.8.8 and ping -t bbc.co.uk came back with a response 17/20 on average so still wasn't right.

It's now on 72 hr further monitoring but it appears the connection was reset 2hrs into the monitoring (so yesterday lunchtime) and everything now appears to be working as expected.

I've ordered a brand new Master Socket and filter socket just for safety sakes and will revert back to the Draytek on Friday once the 72hr period has elapsed.

So here's hoping Smiley

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

@Marvo 

I've used a Draytek router for many years on Plusnet.

I originally had a 2820 and now I have a 2860.

I use OpenDNS (set on the router in LAN >> General Setup) and that works fine.

The ability to use OpenDNS was one reason I went down the Draytek route.

Possibly (or possibly not) significant, I have a static IP address from Plusnet (which has a one off charge). 

I am the satisfied customer....
Marvo
Dabbler

I've used Quad 9 for years personally and professionally.

I had a call from PN Tech team and they advised that OutofReach were doing some updates at my exchange around the exact time the outage first ocurred. There was no forward notification to any of the ISPs regarding this planned activity but appears to have impacted a handful of users from BT & PN.

2 weeks later everything is still running sweet