cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a WiFi hub that will play nice with PlusNet Hub One - IP problems with Asus hub

FIXED
sproyd
Fixes: 1

Looking for a WiFi hub that will play nice with PlusNet Hub One - IP problems with Asus hub

Situation

• I have a PlusNet Hub One, which is located at the very front of my flat where the phone line comes in. Unfortunately the WiFi does not reach to the back of the house, and as I have a smart home, it's important my WiFi is stable and can reach all appliances/bulbs etc.
  • Fortunately, my flat has Gigabit Ethernet, and I can connect the PlusNet One to the LAN to provide internet to the network
  • The LAN switch is located in a storage cupboard in the centre of my flat, and I have networked/setup an Asus RT-N66U WiFi Hub Asus DSL-N55U Wifi Hub to provide WiFi across the flat.
  • This was working okay, but I keep having IP clashes as both the Asus and the PlusNet Hub One operate as DHCP servers, causing IP conflicts with connected devices, sometimes resulting in no internet access. Further, the Asus and Hub One need to be on different subnets to interact (Asus on 192.168.2.X, and Hub one on 192.168.1.X).
  • Disabling the DHCP server on the PlusNet Hub One means the Asus Hub can't find an internet Gateway. Disabling the DHCP server on the Asus hub also results in connectivity issues.

Question:

• Is there a WiFi hub out there that is proven to work well with the PlusNet One, causing no IP conflicts and smooth networking throughout the LAN?
8 REPLIES 8
Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

Re: Looking for a WiFi hub that will play nice with PlusNet Hub One - IP problems with Asus hub

Disable DHCP on the Asus and set it's IP address back to the default of 192.168.1.1 and you should be good to go, that's assuming the Hub One still has it's default settings.
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Looking for a WiFi hub that will play nice with PlusNet Hub One - IP problems with Asus hub

The RT-N66u apparently has an 'Access Point' mode

https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1005259/

Otherwise, as browni has already suggested, turn off DHCP server on the Asus, and then wire LAN (not WAN) port from Asus to LAN port of Hub One.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
sproyd

Correction: it is an Asus DSL-N55U Router

Unfortunately, the Asus does not play well with the Hub One when on the same subnet while using as an Access Point. The instructions here https://thebrickhorse.com/IT/2016/07/18/moving-to-fibre-what-to-do-with-your-asus-router/ explain the different setups, and only Option C (Ethernet WAN with Different Subnet) worked at all for me, but as I explained I am now having IP issues (inevitably due to having 2 DHCP servers on the same network).

The solutions suggested by the helpful responses here are in line with Option A (access point mode, doesn't work)  and Option B (same subnet, static IP, DHCP off) in the link above. Neither worked (either for me or the author of that link).

Perhaps the Asus N55U is not an acceptable AP to use with the Hub One - can anybody suggest what a reliable alternative option is?

Browni
Aspiring Hero

That link is from last year and option B worked for the author but was buggy.

There will have been quite a few firmware upgrades since then, see here for example.

sproyd

Option B didn't work for the author, as it results in IP issues, he said;

This setup works however i noticed after sometime WIFI connections tend to have problems getting an IP address from your main router.

I have the latest firmware installed, do you suggest running beta firmware?

Browni
Aspiring Hero

Actually he said

Trial Setup B (Successful but buggy)

But that was more than a year ago with unknown firmware and unknown master router.

bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

I don't know if this is worth trying.

What would happen if you used Option B, but instead of WAN using DSL port, the Asus is configured to use Ethernet WAN port with a 'static IP' address?   WAN port would be left disconnected of course.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
sproyd

Fix

Unbelievably, I've managed to get it working flawlessly (so far). Note that Asus removed the Access Point mode in a firmware update so that is not available, you have to create what is a de facto Access Point through certain settings.

I used a mix of instructions at the following links;

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?SLanguage=en-us&id=20160210220133488&board_id=11&model=DSL-AC68U...

http://www.dslreports.com/faq/11233

But here is the setup for anyone's future reference reading this post pulling their hair out trying to solve this issue. Please note that some of these steps can me skipped/tweaked but this is verbatim everything I did;

1. Make sure your PlusNet Hub One is using the default IP of 192.168.1.254. It seems to be changeable in the settings but I found it really doesn't like other IPs that I tried to give it so keep it to the default to avoid potential problems.
  2. Go into your PlusNet Hub One settings, Advanced Settings, Home Network, IP Addresses. Then make sure your DHCP Server is enabled (Yes ticked), then configure manually the range of Start: 192.168.1.65 and End 192.168.1.253. Default lease time 1 days 0 hours is fine. 
  3. Disconnect from your Plusnet Hub One and make sure your Asus router is disconnected from the network (LAN cable unplugged). 
  4. Connect to your Asus router, best to connect directly via LAN cable (not through your home's network, but straight from PC to Asus). You can also Connect to the Asus via WiFi but it will take longer to re-connect when you update each setting as you may get kicked off the WiFi or your router will be rebooting. 

Suggested Asus DSL-N55U Settings (Click Apply after making changes on each page/bullet point)

• Firmware: Latest beta on Asus official support site (I used file DSL-N55U_9.0.0.4_380_3925-gad8f412_Annex_A.trx)
  • Wireless: Nothing special just make sure its enabled
  • LAN> LAN IP: Address 192.168.1.64 (this will be the LAN address of your Asus going forward so once you update this, you will need to use this IP to access the settings page if it doesn't auto-popup when you connect). Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
  • LAN > DHCP Server: Keep this enabled as yes for now, as you will be connecting directly to the Asus via your PC and so need to get an IP address from your Asus for your PC. We will be disabling this later. The range should look something like 192.168.1.1>192.168.1.253, Lease Time 86400. Update Default Gateway to your PlusNet Hub One's IP of 192.168.1.254, and DNS Server to 8.8.8.8 (Google's DNS)
  • LAN > Route: Enable static routes as yes. Now add the below 8 static routes under Network/Host IP, Netmask, Gateway, leave Metric blank and select Interface as LAN
  • 128.0.0.0       128.0.0.0         192.168.1.254
    64.0.0.0          192.0.0.0         192.168.1.254
    32.0.0.0          224.0.0.0         192.168.1.254
    16.0.0.0         240.0.0.0         192.168.1.254
    8.0.0.0           248.0.0.0         192.168.1.254
    4.0.0.0           252.0.0.0         192.168.1.254
    2.0.0.0           254.0.0.0         192.168.1.254
    1.0.0.0            255.0.0.0         192.168.1.254
  • WAN > Internet Connection: just change this to DSL
  • WAN > Dual WAN: Turn this off, and DSL as your Primary WAN
  • IPv6: Not sure if this is relevant but change IPv6 to Passthrough mode, and automatically connect to DNS server

5. Once you have done all this, go back to LAN > DHCP Server and Disable the DHCP Server (don't change other settings). Once your Asus has saved all changes and reset itself, log out of the Asus, and switch it off manually. 

6. Hook your Asus Ethernet cable up to your LAN that the Hub One is connected to, or just directly to your Hub One if that is your intended setup. Turn on the Hub One first (let it boot) then turn on your Asus. 

7. FINISHED! (& Troubleshooting): In theory, you should now be able to logon to either the Asus or the Hub One WiFi/LAN with no discernible difference including full access to both routers settings via their respective IPs (192.168.1.254 for the Hub One or 192.168.1.64 for the Asus). On your Hub One's homepage you should be able to see all of the IP addresses of connected devices, excluding the Hub which shouldn't have been allocated an IP by the Hub One but is still accessible via its IP ending in 64. Devices connected to the Asus via WiFi will show as connected to the Hub One via Ethernet (as that is how the Asus is connected to the Hub One). Logging into your Asus homepage on Network map it will show Internet Status as unplugged, but this is because it is functioning as an AP rather than a router/WAN. Hopefully there shouldn't be a yellow caution triangle which indicates IP issues (such as conflicting DHCP servers)