cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for a 3rd party modem/router that works

loiswakeman

Looking for a 3rd party modem/router that works

Tearing my hair out here. After about 2 months of trouble-free operation after the last engineer visit to fix a line fault (one of a very long string!), our TP-LINK Archer VR400 dual-band router has suddenly started playing up with random periods of being unable to resolve hostnames. I tried changing the DNS to Google's but that's no better.

The original cheap 2704N router works fine, but is hopelessly basic and I really need to change it for something better so I can set up my home network. However, both the above TP-LINK router and the older one it replaces don't work reliably, and the engineer said we might have problems with the make for reasons I annoyingly didn't write down at the time.

So, if anyone can recommend a make of router that they know works for Plusnet copper, I would be very grateful. Or even some arcane settings for the Archer to get round the problem!

5 REPLIES 5
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Re: Looking for a 3rd party router that works

Moderators Note

This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

OpenReach ones can be configured to PN settings, and have better wifi reach too than that supplied by PN. Loads on E Bay.
loiswakeman

Thanks Gel - will have a look.

Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

@loiswakeman 

The BT Smarthub 6 is cheap, available on  Ebay and better than Plusnet's hubs.

These work on both standard ADSL and fibre. Setting instructions are here. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

loiswakeman

Great - that's really helpful - many thanks. Will give one a try and keep my fingers crossed 🙂