cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Local files through 2704n router to Chromecast

simonasackett
Hooked

Local files through 2704n router to Chromecast

I've been with Plusnet for just over a couple of years and the router's been fine mostly, but since I discovered that I can cast local files from my PC to the Chromecast via the router (all in the same room) it seems to be struggling to keep up - the video stutters and hesitates often.

If I ask them nicely will Plusnet upgrade the router? If they won't then what would be a good replacement?

4 REPLIES 4
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

Re: Local files through 2704n router to Chromecast

If you are a fibre customer, Plusnet usually offer a free Hub One if you agree a new 12-24 month contract.  You may or may not have to pay P&P.  Otherwise, the 2704n is the only router Plusnet continues to offer to ADSL customers.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
simonasackett
Hooked

Ok, thanks.

runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

Your Router or it's power supply may have a fault.

Some things you can look at.  

See if you can change wifi channels on the router. You might be using a wifi channel that's congested with other nearby users using the same channel.  Try changing from auto to channel 11 . That's usually a safe bet that no other nearby equipment will use  channel 11. 

Other electronic equipment can interfere with wifi. are you or a neighbour using home plugs?

Try  turning off other electronics that may be the source interference. 

However if it is still an issue there are plenty of good quality adsl routers on eBay that you could try, although you'd need to do manual broadband set up. familiarise yourself with that process first. 

simonasackett
Hooked

Thanks. There's nothing wrong with the router, I think, I'm just expecting too much from it. If there's nothing better available from Plusnet I'll just stick my films on a memory stick instead 🐵