cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Line noise caused by router

leswzz99

Line noise caused by router

Hi,

For the past few days I've noticed a fairly loud hissing sound on the line when making phone calls. If I switch the router off the noise stops immediately, and returns when I power the router back on. I've tried a new ADSL filter but this makes no difference, so I think the router itself is faulty.

Can you arrange a replacement router for me.

Thanks.

10 REPLIES 10
MMG
Dabbler

Re: Line noise caused by router

I would contact customer services directly, they may be able to help you quicker.

Plus they could run some diagnostics to see if there is a problem on your line which is causing the interference.

Is your router plugged into an extension socket or the master socket?
leswzz99

Thanks, it's an extension socket, but I've tried the master as well and get the same effect, so I'm pretty sure it's the router.

I see that there is a My Router board which is maybe where this query should be, so I'll repost there.

Thanks for the help. 

Gel
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 29

VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Obviously the router is generating interference - so it must be faulty.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

@leswzz99 wrote:

I've tried a new ADSL filter but this makes no difference, so I think the router itself is faulty.

Not necessarily.

This symptom is often caused by a high resistance (HR) joint somewhere on the line twixt house and exchange.

Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
VileReynard
Hero
Fixes: 20

Try dialling 17070 (Quiet line test) on your phone - ideally using a wired phone [not the type that uses a base unit].

If you hear anything more than absolute silence, report a voice fault.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

leswzz99

The router is nowhere near the phone base station.

I've done the 17070 quiet line test - the line is silent with the router powered off, hissing noise present with the router powered on. 

Seems unlikely it's a line fault given the noise is only there with the router powered on?

TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @leswzz99,

I'm sorry to hear that you're experiencing issues with the services. I've tested your line today and we've not been able to detect any underlying faults. As this is the case I would recommend running through this troubleshooting guide if you're still hearing noise on the line.

If you still hear noise on the line following this then please let us know and report the fault online here.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
TheMightyAJ
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 126

Hi @leswzz99,

I can see that you've opened another thread on this topic and I've responded there. In the future I would ask that you please keep all posts about an issue/query contained to one thread as it helps us respond more quickly and efficiently.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Alex H
 Plusnet Help Team
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

Moderators Note
This topic has been moved from ADSL Broadband to My Router and topics merged.
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine