cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Left frustrated after engineer visit.

robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

Re: Left frustrated after engineer visit.

Thank you, it's done now anyway and is blue Smiley
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,600

Cheers, I've completed another test just now and the test is showing your router now getting a speed of 40mbps so it appears that something may be wrong after all with the longer wire. 

Personally what I'd recommend doing is use the shorter wire between the router and the master socket. If the router is in a bad location due to the master socket I'm always a firm believer of extending or upgrading your home network between your router and devices, because the broadband signal can deteriorate quicker the long it has to travel.

What I mean by this is use powerline adapters to extend the reach of the wireless signal, or longer ethernet cables, or make use of a switch to provide additional ethernet ports although I understand the engineer advised your existing switch may have been faulty. At this stage I'd put the switch back into place and see how it goes, so you have enough ports to connect your devices by ethernet. For the wireless only devices a power line adapter may be the way to go.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

Aww *sigh*, I just don't know what to believe anymore because the engineer tested the wire direct to his box and it was fast, he said it was great and mentioned that there isn't a need to move the box (we had that conversation before he tested this about it). He actually really, really praised it and said "Honestly, this is great and nothing wrong with it at all" while he tested it directly into his box so I just don't know anymore, it's just too much to be honest. 

This is very very frustrating and unfair, it's not our fault where they located the master socket and for us to have to pay £160 for it to move it isn't fair, it's also a lot of money.

Powerline adaptors are also costly, it's a lose/lose situation is this and I've had this setup ever since I had Plusnet (in fact BT Open reach connected it when they came out a year last September and replaced the master socket and fixed something in the box somewhere he had to go to outside), I really can't win with this. 

I'm going to have to look into other things I think, I've not had this trouble before which previous to Virgin Media I was also in the same location and situation when I had O2 broadband (I left and went to Virgin cause they sold to Sky), it's just a very frustrating situation.

It needs to be where it is in my room does the router as not everything is possible to be wireless, plus the wireless has often been poor with Plusnet and not reliable.

I don't know what to do anymore, I'm just worn out. 

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I understand what you've said that the engineer has advised however through testing with and without the longer cable in place, there does appear to be an issue with the longer cable.

My personal opinion would be to use longer ethernet cables and a switch too if you need to plug more than 4 devices into your router. To extend the wireless signal, it'd be to look at a powerline adapter (I've got one in my own house and it works great although it'd depend on the quality of the electricity wiring and that it's all on the same circuit).

If your switch causes an issue when or if you plug it back in, it may be worth going back to the retailer or manufacturer for a replacement, assuming it's under a warranty period still.

From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

I can't get it back on now!!! I've just plugged it back to how it was and it's constantly flashing orange with the B flashing on and off (it disappeared did the b but has come back again).

This is what gets me so annoyed with all this messing about, it's too much for customers to do to be asked to do all this!!

I can't even get it back on now!!! Sad
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It normally takes around 5 minutes for a modem router to go through the motions of connecting to the internet. Unfortunately your home network within your property is only your responsibility, I'm just trying to help out.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

Yeah, it's finally just gone blue now, honestly though I have felt for a long time with this stuff when you ask us to do these things it's too much to ask a customer to do, specially when we're not technical and find it daunting doing all this, as simple as it may be for some others aren't comfortable with it but I do understand why you do.

As I say I do love Plusnet and the service you give (honestly see the positive reviews I left on Trustpilot twice and also the forum post here a bit back as I do feel that the negative feedback people leave Plusnet is not needed when you do provide such a great customer service for us too).

I just don't really know what to do, I would love to get the master socket moved but it is a lot of money and I do feel it's unfair (we didn't choose where they installed it) however the engineer last said to me as mentioned above which is why it was like "Oh so it's pointless moving that anyway" kind of thing.

Thank you so much, I do appreciate you sincerely
robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

It's just dropped and gone orange again the b coming on and going off again *sigh*

Unless you're doing something for that (which is absolutely fine if so), it's come back blue now.
Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Totally get what you've said and that's what we're here for to help out. Smiley Due to the relatively very high cost I'd say that moving a master socket would be a last resort scenario in this case as there are other options available to try to sort the issues out you're experiencing. 

I've not tested your line to cause the drop you've had just now, based on the longer cable between your router and master socket causing your speed to almost half I'd say that's also causing the few drops.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

Yeah, it's just so frustrating, I'm sure you understand but hopefully it'll stay solid blue now.

It's just cause it was fine before we started doing this (apart from the one drop as mentioned), the thing I found weird was the downloading a file thing and to a degree Youtube as when I did a speed test I was getting around 30 mbs on the speed tests but downloading files were painfully slow, which as I mentioned I did try it from different places as I know sometimes the server your downloading from could be slow.

The drops as well are so weird because they would always be around 1 am (or around those hours) when these problems first started, we'd have 11 days solid connection then one really bad day, we had two really bad days which were both Sundays, I guess that was coincidence though but it's just too much stress, hassle and money with installing or moving sockets which might even still give us the problems.

I'm not saying what you're saying is wrong and I don't disbelieve you either but I keep getting told different things and the engineer as I say showed me the tests with things when he narrowed it down to the router (which he said was getting a bit too warm) and then as we say about the TP link which I've just left out for now still.

I just feel it's unfair to do all this with all these costs when it's a lot of money, it just leaves you very upset and frustrated.

I'm sure you get what I mean Smiley

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

It's sometimes difficult to track down the cause of an intermittent fault. Hopefully you don't notice any further issues but if you do I'd start with using the shorter cable and putting your switch back in. If the switch causes connection issues I'd recommend then contacting the manufacturer or where you bought it from to see if they can replace it for you.

Let me know how you get on. Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

Yeah, the engineer did say that too about how it can be difficult to track down sometimes, that's why he did all the things he did when he narrowed it to the router or TP link during his visit.

As I say it's not really something I can do with the shorter wire and router downstairs because not everything I need has Wi-Fi so I wouldn't be able to connect them and it's things that are needed also.

I'll show you the TP link if you like, I got it from Amazon but it's this here: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001EVGIYG

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've got a hunch that the DSL cable (the wire between the router and your master socket) may be the culprit behind the issues and the router and the switch may in fact not be faulty but we can only really determine that through more troubleshooting. There's no reason why a switch will be causing an issue unless it's developed a fault.

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
robbieglover2k
Aspiring Pro

I know Smiley This is what's really confused me, I do remember the engineer saying to me about the TP link possibly over powering the router (remember he said the router was too hot) and he then followed up to say how he goes by the rule of there's usually only 4 Ethernet ports in the back of the router for a reason so putting in extensions and more wired connections over powers it, hence why he mentioned how he's pretty sure it was that after he tested my wire and the box.

I really wish I could just get the master socket moved to be honest but even then I could move that and still have the problems, it's heartbreaking Sad

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I've read and understood what you've said but I don't believe at this stage we can really suggest anything else. 

Let us know how it goes if you decide to carry out more troubleshooting Smiley

Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet