cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop won't connect to internet on wireless

Paul56

Laptop won't connect to internet on wireless

My laptop is having issues with the router, it either won't connect at all, or when it does connect it won't access the internet. It is fine through the Ethernet connection, and all other devices in the house are having no issues. I have checked that my username is the one on the router settings, and I have checked drivers and also forgotten the connection and re entered it. Any ideas on how to connect.
5 REPLIES 5
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Re: Laptop won't connect to internet on wireless

Welcome to the forum.

If you have a Plusnet Hub One try separating the 2.4 and 5 GHz bands see https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/2-4ghz-and-or-5ghz-best-practice/m-p/1351966#M840. Try each band in turn.

When you say that you are entering the router user name I assume that what you are really doing is searching for wireless networks on your laptop, selecting you router transmission and entering the router wireless password?

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Paul56

Thanks for the reply, I meant I went into the router settings via the browser and made sure my username was the the one being used as that was recommended following an internet search. The changing the band does not appear to work.
Baldrick1
Fixes: 415

Am I being confused by you meaning the transmitted wireless network name when referring to username? I associate user names with the log in details for the router plus your Plusnet account, which has nothing to do with wireless connections. If so then please ignore the following.

As I understand it you are trying to connect your laptop to your router? If this is the case then you do not need to look at the router settings unless you want to confirm the wireless key, which will be on a label on the router case. Having noted that go to your laptop and do a search for wireless networks. From the list that might appear select the one for your router, as per the wireless network taken from the router label then enter the wireless key.

If you have separated the bands then if your laptop supports 5GHz you should also see a second transmission with -5 added to the wireless network name. Try both in turn and use the best.

Moderator and Customer
If this helped - select the Thumb
If it fixed it,  help others - select 'This Fixed My Problem'

Mav
Fixes: 514

Moderator's Note(s)

Thread moved from Fibre Broadband to My Router.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Hi @Paul56, sorry to hear you're experiencing problems with a laptop connecting.

Might sound like a silly question, but have you tried shutting down the laptop and rebooting at all?

Could you also confirm which operating system the problematic laptop is running?

Thanks.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Harry Beesley
 Plusnet