cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lan doesn't have a valid ip configuration

bustermissy1961
Grafter

Lan doesn't have a valid ip configuration

Ive recently changed my Plusnet router from the Sagemcom 2704N to the Technicolor TG582n so i could use my Wireless printer, but every time i turn on my pc i get this message Lan doesn't have a valid IP configuration, is there a reason why this is happening and how do i stop it from keep happening Thanks.

19 REPLIES 19
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Lan doesn't have a valid ip configuration

Hi there,

Having looked into this it seems this is due to either a change of settings related to your PC's network adapter or an issue with the drivers (the latter may be the case if you've just upgraded to Windows 10 for example.

Let us know which operating system (i.e which version of Windows) you have so we can advise further.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
bill888
Champion
Fixes: 38

I presume the PC cannot access the internet when you encounter the message, but other devices are working fine.

What version of Windows are you using?

Are you connected over wired or wireless connection?

After you swapped routers, did you make sure you power cycled EVERYTHING which connects to your router (eg. set top boxes such as Sky, smart phones etc).  It may be an IP address conflict issue.

Otherwise, if issue persists, try following these instructions to configure a temporary static IP address on your PC, but use the settings below, which I believe should work for both Sagemcom 2704N and TG582n:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19249/how-to-assign-a-static-ip-address-in-xp-vista-or-windows-7/

IP address:  192.168.1.201 (randomly picked address 'less' likely to be in use by any other device)

subnet mask: 255.255.255.0

Default gateway: 192.168.1.254

Preferred DNS: 212.159.6.10 (plusnet server)

Secondary DNS: 212.159.6.9

Press OK and close the dialogue/windows boxes.

Check that internet access is working.

Restart the PC and confirm the original problem does not appear.

ex-Plusnet (ADSL, FTTC) 2008-2023. now BT (FTTP) 2023-
bustermissy1961
Grafter

"I presume the PC cannot access the internet when you encounter the message, but other devices are working fine."

No i cant access the internet when i see the message but i never checked other devices. i think i will give the temporary static IP address a go, thanks for the information.

"

What version of Windows are you using?

Are you connected over wired or wireless connection?

After you swapped routers, did you make sure you power cycled EVERYTHING which connects to your router (eg. set top boxes such as Sky, smart phones etc).  It may be an IP address conflict issue."

Im using windows 7 and im connected over a wired connection, but ive never tried to restart everything that is connected to my router.

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

A bit of Googling shows that this is quite a common issue, if you hit the windows key then to go "PC settings" or "control panel" then go into "PC and devices" you should see our PCs network adapter listed in there. I would advise following the option to roll back the drivers to a previous version.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
bustermissy1961
Grafter

" then go into "PC and devices" you should see our PCs network adapter listed in there. I would advise following the option to roll back the drivers to a previous version."

i cant see where it says PC and devices ive not a clue what your on about.

bill888
Champion

Does your PC access the internet when you remove the TG582n and reconnect the Sagemcom 2704n router?

bustermissy1961
Grafter

Yes straight away.

bill888
Champion

Can you verify you can access the internet using any other device with the TG582n ?

Did you try the temporary static IP configuration on your PC ?

Were you using the same TG582n successfully prior to getting the 2704n ?

Do you have ADSL or fibre broadband ?

I presume you tried plugging PC into all 3/4 LAN ports on the TG582n.

bustermissy1961
Grafter

No i cant access the internet with any other devices because it wont connect to the internet.Yes i tried the temporary IP configuration but like ive said it wouldn't connect to the internet.Yes i used the TG582n with no problems before i started using the 2704n.Yes ive tried all the Lan ports with the same results.

bill888
Champion

ok. It was not clear from your original posts.  You are now saying none of your devices connect to the internet when you try to use the TG582n router.   It is not a Windows PC problem.  It is now looking more likely to be a router issue.

Please undo the temporary static IP configuration on your Windows PC which I previously suggested you try.  (ie. use 'Obtain IP address automatically' and 'Obtain DNS server address automatically')

Using your PC, can you bring up the TG582n login page by typing      192.168.1.254   in a web browser? 

What are the colours of the 'Broadband' and 'Internet' lights on the TG582n router?

Broadband / off or flashing green There's a problem with the broadband signal. Make sure all the cables and microfilters are plugged in properly

Broadband / green

Broadband's detected and working

Internet / off

There's no Internet connection

Internet / red

The Internet connection isn’t working. Try opening your web browser and following the steps on your screen. It might be because you’ve used the wrong username and password, so double check them and try again

Internet / green It's connected to the Internet

bustermissy1961
Grafter

I've done as you asked and the internet icon on my router is red which occasionally flashes and the Ethernet icon is flashing green. As soon as i put the router in it works straight away.

bill888
Champion

Sorry, your latest reply is not particularly clear.

"As soon as i put the router in it works straight away."

I presume you were referring to the 2704n ?

On the TG582n, you have said the 'Internet' is red.  What is the colour of the 'Broadband' (not 'Ethernet') light ?

What happens when you enter 192.168.1.254 into web browser on your PC?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEwbY5xJWYw

If you have a solid green 'Broadband' light, and red 'internet' light, and you are able to access the TG582n login page at 192.168.1.254 on your PC, the issue could be your TG582n has forgotten your plusnet username and password, and so it cannot log into the Plusnet broadband network.

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

@bill888 wrote:
the issue could be your TG582n has forgotten your plusnet username and password, and so it cannot log into the Plusnet broadband network.

This sounds like it could be the issue. Just had a quick glance over the account and it looks like the auto-config isn't set up on the TG582n so it would need the username and password entering manually if it's been reset at all.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
bustermissy1961
Grafter

Could you check my account again please it seems to be working now. all the lights are now green on my TG582n router, the Ethernet/Internet icons are flashing green. bill888 thank you very much for all your help its much appreciated.