Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just switched and low speed

roger3094
Hooked

Just switched and low speed

Hi All 

Just changed to Plusnet, was wondering do you need to give it time for your internet speed to get what you ordered.

I took the 36Mb deal and do remember reading somewhere that you can have fluatuating spped for up to 10 days.

I was not sure if this was pre changing or after changing, since over a week leading up to the switch over, i had vertualy no internet speed/connection just enought ot check emails, could not stream anything, with out a lot of bufferting.

Now after switching did have an issue with the router just on orange and blinking red, then it worked the next day and in the morning doing a speed test it showed a speed of 30Mb. Later the same day in the evening from 19.00hr to 22.00hr i checked the speed 3 times every hour and was only getting 3Mb, 4.5Mb and the last one was 10Mb.

Today i checked at 13.30hr and it was 8.7Mb and at 14.00hr it was 24.57Mb and at 14.30hr it was 16.63Mb.

It also does seem to mater what spped i am getting, connecting to any web sites takes a long time and some times it will still freeze.

I am using wifi and my router is around 4 mtrs away, with a stright line of sight, no obstructions in the way. I do not have a cable long enough to reach my PC to plug in. The wifi does reach all around the house.

Any advice would be great.

6 REPLIES 6
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Re: Just switched and low speed

What's its show here? Yes, DLM will move speeds up and down but unless you have a line fault going from 35Mb down to 3Mb is over doing it somewhat which tends to suggest possible local issues (not always though).

But for 'real' speed tests you really need a wired connection. WiFi results can vary a lot. Also if you have a smartphone, download a WiFi analyser to see what channels are in use around you.

BTW What router you using?

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
roger3094
Hooked

Thanks for the reply.

Plusnet hub one is the router, and the kids phones and pcs will be connected at times. Do have a EE booster box connected for the mobile phones through ethernet, which i think must be the Zonegate-Femtocel.

I did have a very long ethernet cable, might see if i still have it.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Personal information removed from a public forum.
markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

@roger3094 If you were previously with BT you might find the BT home hub is better than the Plusnet Hub One (there are instructions on using it at the top of this forum).

If you can use the previous router it eliminates the hardware change from the question of why the new service works less well.

I am the satisfied customer....
roger3094
Hooked

Thanks again for the response, i do have a TP-Link Archer that i used to use instead of the usless Talk Talk router i had, my last provider was NowTV. I could not use the TP-Link Archer when i was with NowTV since they would not give out the info.

Would using the TP-Link Archer be beter the the plusnet one. 

markhawkin
Pro
Fixes: 12

If it supports the current “fibre” service then yes. TP-Link have many “Archers” (perhaps even a platoon) so I can’t comment on yours but it is worth trying as a comparison.
I am the satisfied customer....
roger3094
Hooked

Thanks for the info, have orderd a Cat 7 flat 15mtr cable and will run that out and see how i get on.