Did you mean: 

Just ordered fibre - question about hub one

FIXED
YorkshirePud82
Grafter
Fixes: 1

Just ordered fibre - question about hub one

Good Morning everyone

i finally took the plunge and decided to order fibre. Now being from an IT background i have my trusty linksys router setup just how i like it but i have a few questions about the hub one i havn't been able to find answers to.

What wireless bands does it use? My main pc uses a wireless ethernet converter that only operates on the G band. does the Hub one use the G band as well as the newer bands?

Can you setup things like a DMZ?

Can you change the SSID?

TIA all.

5 REPLIES 5
bmc
Hero
Fixes: 48

Re: Just ordered fibre - question about hub one

@YorkshirePud82

It is a modified BT HH5a

If your current router is VDSL capable you can use it instead. PlunsNet provide the settings required on a Help page.

Brian

YorkshirePud82
Grafter

My current router will not be compatible as it is ADSL based only and has no external WAN port. It has been a pretty damn reliable piece of kit and cant praise the WAG354G enough. But i think its time to replace it.

Kdog
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 9

Fix
To answer your questions directly:

The hub one uses dual band Wi-Fi, with 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac so the PC should be fine.

You can set up DMZ, port forwarding etc though be aware Plusnet won't support that so you're on your own with that.

You can change the SSID for both bands, individually of you like.

I know the hub one gets a bit of a bad rap at times for Wi-Fi, but in my experience it's not a bad piece of kit-I've been using it for a few years and never had any issues.
YorkshirePud82
Grafter

thats excellent thanks very much kdog! Might not be a bad idea to upgrade my wireless connection upstairs to benefit from the faster speed once the line is in and has settled down though. unless it never exceeeds 54MBPS

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

You will never get 54mbps out of a wireless G (3?) link. A ~20mbps throughput is pretty much what you can expect to see on a good day.

I've always been a bit miffed that router vendors can advertise things as they do, because it's not representitive of what you'll see in actual downstream throughput Crazy2

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵